PHP noob - How do you put latest forum news on homepage ?

lazeymusic

Reaction score
basically i have a forum which i want to share between both my websites

one is a comic website and the other is a music website.

does anyone have a clue how to do it so that one website can hold the latest comic news and the other hold music updates ?

after weeks of searching for a tutorial getting no luck - i found a friend that tried to help me, he made a script himself but when he went to view it the page just came up white, i asked him if i could have the script so i could post it on here but he had deleted it.

anyone else for a go ?

djcustom

Reaction score
Ok to answer this properly you I would need a little more information.

If both sites are on the same same hosting account I suggest creating 2 forums and link both to the same database this way you can setup each index page they way you want. I am not the best with forums but that should solve your issue.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
The problem with doing this is every forum software out there is going to make two identical websites if the databases are identical. Can't you have a board for each topic instead of a separate website?

Also, it is possible to mask the fact you are using the same board by using htaccess tricks.

For example, instead of:
yoursite.com/index.php?viewboard=music&....
yoursite.com/index.php?viewboard=comics&....

what if you did:
music.yoursite.com/index.php?...
comics.yoursite.com/index.php?...

The first set of links point to the same exact file (index.php) and by using htaccess we can make your users think they are looking at different forums, though they are on the same forum.

lazeymusic

Reaction score
lol ok i think there may have been some misunderstanding - i am a TOTAL noob with php, even when opening the php files which give instructions on installing things i can't do because i have a hard time reading them properly :p now html i CAN do :D

OR maybe instead i could scrap the forum and let the viewers that are reading the comic can leave a comment on that page, would that be alot easier ? for e.g. www.vgcats.com

they have their comics in an archive, i could do it so that when the viewer clicks on a comic, there is a comments box below the comic like this site http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-106.html each page containing a different comment box. - Now how would i go about that :p

Last edited: