PHP remove html/other uncessary tags? - need help

a-a-a

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place. But..
How do remove html/other uncessary tags in php? Do I use strip tags? I've read tutorials, but I don't know how to apply it to my script.

Basic idea of my script: (actual script is too long to post it all)
First, it is an html form for the user to enter a 'short message'.
It gets compared with the 'correct message' (using php if/else), and if it's right, they get redirected elsewhere.
And I have several pages set up like this, with many different variables in total.

I've read that you shouldn't trust what the user inputs, so I want to make my script safer. How do I make the input part safer? (The entered 'short message' should only contain letters and numbers. Nothing else.)
I think I have to use strip tag, but I don't really know how or where to use it.

Help is appreciated. Thank you.

engel

Reaction score
I think that htmlspecialchars() will do what you're looking for. If the user enters any HTML or PHP or anything that shouldn't be there, the characters like < and > are changed to &lt; and &gt; respectively (?). This will prevent most chances of attack, as you need to use these characters to initiate PHP and to use any tag in HTML.

savager

Reaction score
$_POST['message']=strip_tags;
OR
$_POST['message']=string_replace('<', '');

conker87

Reaction score
You add arrays to that:
Code:
$_POST['message']=string_replace(array("<",">"), "");

a-a-a

Reaction score
Thank you everyone!
One more question. Do I add this after the html form? Or before the if that compares the variables? Or somewhere else?

engel

Reaction score
It should be wherever you are evaluating what the user inputted into the form.