PHP Session Problem in Private Browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

datasync

Reaction score
I'm developing an analytics script that people will be able to add to their page in order to track visitor data. One of the issues I've come across is devising a way to track individual's sessions when they're viewing someone's page from a private browser (I.e. Incognito).

This is the script I'm using to see if someone to observe if someone has been active for more than 30 minutes, if they have, a new session will be created, if not, then they will resume their previous session.

PHP:
session_start();
$max_time =1800;
$current = time();if(!isset ($_SESSION['Stationary'])){
$_SESSION['Stationary']= time();
$session = $_SESSION['Stationary'];}if(!isset ($_SESSION['Inactive'])){
$_SESSION['Inactive']= time();}else{
$session_life = $current - $_SESSION['Inactive'];if($session_life > $max_time ){
session_destroy();
session_start();
$_SESSION['Inactive']= time();
$_SESSION['Stationary']= time();
$session = $_SESSION['Stationary'];}else{
$_SESSION['Inactive']= time();
$session = $_SESSION['Stationary'];}}

This script works flawlessly when a user views my page from a regular browser (IE. Chrome Incognito), however when they view it on something like an iPhone, in Private Browsing, every time they access a new page, a new session is rendered -- a problem that I do not have when viewed otherwise.

So my question then is, I'm aware that viewing pages in a Private Browser is achieved through temporary cacheing which is cleared once the browser is closed, however why is it that even when the browser is not closed, opening a link destroys their previous session even when the link leads to another page, with the same script on the page?

Is there a workaround to this?

EDIT: I should note that this script is being placed in a php file with the header application/json to be used as a JavaScript file as well.

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score
Sessions are tracked by ID
ID's are tracked two ways.
1. Cookies -- which can be turned off by the user
2. URLs -- which cannot be turned off but makes URLs very messy

Apparently php.ini (sever wide, will not be adjusted by admins -- don't bother asking) turns cookies on for sessions, but urls off.

Not sure if you can use .htaccess to turn on the url feature for your account. Or if calling ini_set() in your script helps.

You might want to Google session.use_trans_sid and session.use_only_cookies

Status
Not open for further replies.