phpBB or Invision Board?

efx

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't think it would fit anywhere else in the Tech Talk

which board do you think is better?
phpBB or Invision board? I need to decide on one, I've had some problems with phpBB before, but that was because I didnt know how to install it. The tutorial on how to use it in this forum makes it easy :teeth_smi

so... what do you think the advantages and disadvantages are for both of the boards?

Richard

Reaction score
There are lots of features that are in IPB, you won't get in phpbb by default, but then again IPB 1.3 is no longer under development so there could be security holes and you have to pay for v2.

You might want to consider a 3rd option SMF (Simple Machines Forum) its a very good forum system.

http://www.simplemachines.org/

nicholas

Reaction score
IPB 1.3. if you dont mind it is not the latest version. SMF is good too and i would pick SMF over phpbb. But 1st choice would be IPB 1.3 :smile:

efx

Reaction score
haha =] k thanks guys, i didnt even know anything about SMF, ill check both that and the invision out

yhap2003

Reaction score
NO matter what I still choose IPB over phpbb!! It's just that ipb is easy to use and user friendly!!

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Seeker_952 said:
There are lots of features that are in IPB, you won't get in phpbb by default, but then again IPB 1.3 is no longer under development so there could be security holes and you have to pay for v2.

You might want to consider a 3rd option SMF (Simple Machines Forum) its a very good forum system.

http://www.simplemachines.org/

Ya I agree Smf is the best!

situ

Reaction score
If you can pay then go for IPB, its better than PHPBB2, PHPBB2 is free but its support is great.

Richard

Reaction score
Auvee said:
I have a bias against SMF for some unknown reason. I was never a fan of YaBB (created by the makers of SMF) as it was using text files to store things (I think)

YaBB is a cgi based forum and it does use text files
YaBB SE was the PHP version of YaBB and uses a DB
YaBB SE was abandoned and the team is now working on SMF

But SMF does still needs some work

Maurice

Reaction score
phpBB 2 vs IPB, IPB the winner ;)

phpBB v2.2 vs IPB, good battle :p.

Richard

Reaction score
Well actually phpbb 2.2 was scraped because of too many changes. Its now going to be phpbb 3 and it looks like the first beta could be out soon

Maurice

Reaction score
Well, I got phpBB 2.2 and only thing that is actually changed is the skin and the login part.

Richard

Reaction score
ademonicbaby said:
Well, I got phpBB 2.2 and only thing that is actually changed is the skin and the login part.

Theres an up date on the phpbb site about Olympus (phpBB 3)

Richard

Reaction score
Much Much Better

It should bring it right up to the level of IPB and vB

Chris

Reaction score
Auvee said:
but phpBB's Olympus is supposedly going to be very good.

Yeah, Olympus is going to be awesome, lol. It will add a lot of the features that phpBB is lacking against IBP. If you havn't already read, here is a little update on the developement of Olympus.

ScienceComp314

Reaction score
I also agree that Simple Machine Forum is the best. I am currently working on a The Simpsons related forum and when I am done I will post the link. (It is being done by SMF)

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ScienceComp314 said:
I also agree that Simple Machine Forum is the best. I am currently working on a The Simpsons related forum and when I am done I will post the link. (It is being done by SMF)
Ohh thats pretty cool :grin:

Origin

Reaction score
The only thing IPB has that is better than other forums is the inline moderation. Anything else, SMF and phpBB rock