phpBB3 Email Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechTalk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a few questions on how to set up email activation for phpBB3 because as of right now no emails are being sent.

General Settigns
Code:
Enable Board Wide Email:  Enabled
Users Send Email via Board:  Disabled
Email Function Name:  mail
Email Package Size:  0
Contact Email Address:  my default email that I created the forum with is here
Return Email Address:  my default email that I created the forum with is here
SMTP Settings

Code:
Use SMTP Server for Email:  No
SMTP Server Address:
SMTP Server Port:
Authentication Method for SMTP:  PLAIN
SMTP Username:
SMTP Password:
1) Is my default email address supposed to be in the contact and return box?
2) Is SMTP enabled on x10hosting accounts?
3) I tried the following settings for SMTP but it didn't work. Any idea why?

SMTP Settings
Code:
Use SMTP Server for Email:  Yes 
SMTP Server Address:  tls://smtp.gmail.com SMTP Server Port:  465 Authentication Method for SMTP:  PLAIN SMTP Username:  My GMail Address SMTP Password:  My GMail Password
4) Is there any other setting that might be wrong? (Yes I do have the forum set to have users authenticate their emails)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-TechTalk

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
1) Use any address you want here. As long as it's from your domain, you should be fine. Usually, you want this account to exist, so people can reply to it if they want to stop receiving emails from you. Otherwise you may put yourself in violation of the USA FTC CAN-SPAM act. Not to sound scary, but if people want your emails to stop, you must do everything in your power to stop them.

2) STMP is enabled on all X10 accounts.

3) That would be a question more for Google's forums than for the X10 forums. I'm not sure if PHPBB supports TLS encryption, you may want to change it to a non-encrypted STMP connection or talk to the people at PHPBB.

4) Probably not.

TechTalk

Reaction score
For my first question you said to use any email address as long as it's from my domain. I didn't purchase an email with my domain name so all I have is my gmail and yahoo accounts. Can I just use one of those?

Since my settings look correct why aren't my activation emails sending? I'm referring to the php mail function and not SMTP.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
For my first question you said to use any email address as long as it's from my domain. I didn't purchase an email with my domain name so all I have is my gmail and yahoo accounts. Can I just use one of those?

Since my settings look correct why aren't my activation emails sending? I'm referring to the php mail function and not SMTP.

Your X10hosting account comes with email addresses. You can create them using Cpanel -> Mail -> Email accounts.

The PHP mail() function should work unless something is filled out invalid. You should check your PHP error log (there should be a file called error_log in the same directory you installed phpbb). Check your spam mail folder as well. These sorts of automated messages get caught a lot by the filters.

TechTalk

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast replies.

I checked the error log and there's no errors. I also checked my spam folders but the activation messages aren't in there either. It seems these emails are vanishing in thin air :confused:

Any ideas?

EDIT: I just created an email through the CPanel and successfully linked it with Thunderbird. I tried to send an email to my new domain email several times but none of them got through. The email account can send emails successfully but not receive them.

Last edited:

TechTalk

Reaction score
Just wanted to give this topic a bump and also note that this morning I received two failure notice emails that stated:
"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at outgoing.x10hosting.com. I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out."

Things that need to be accomplished:
1) Get the php mail function sending activation emails.
2) Get my new domain email to send and receive emails consistently.

The domain email was able to send emails last night but I still got those errors this morning. I haven't been able to successfully receive an email with the account yet.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
With the qmail error, I think a staff member will have to assist you with this. I have escalated this ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.