phpBB3

wjeffery

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a few questions regarding phpBB3.

- Is it possible to install it on a subdomain? e.g. http://forum.example.com
- Do I need to upgrade my PHP version to Intermediate for it to work?
- How easy is it to install?
- Is version 3 (phpBB3 Beta) compatible with the servers
- Do I need to setup MySQL?

Thanks.

mattspec

Reaction score
my sql is a must, yes it is able to install on a subdomain, you can try it on basic php, but a lot of apps like that will not work, if you install and it brings you errors or a white page simply upgrade. phpbb is easy as pie to install, they make it very user friendly, and yes i show no reason why it would not work with the servers...

wjeffery

Reaction score
I have no experience setting up MySQL. Furthermore, I have no idea WTF it is.. Anyone care to enlighten me?

bigmanbfa2

Reaction score
MySQL is a database where you can store information about users/posts/visits/ etc... you need it for the forums to keep track of the members and their association.

I don't believe you actually need to do anything with the MySQL/PHPMyAdmin stuff when installing PHPBBx, I think it does it for you. All you need to have is a username and password to get into the MySQL database and it takes over from there. When it asks you, put 'localhost' as your database server.

One more thing, because of the recent server changes, you may have to upgrade your PHP version in your account settings in order for the PHPBBx system to work properly.

Slinki

Reaction score
Had a play with PHPBB3 a few months back, and my god it was lovely, Especially the Admin/Mod panels, very effective, concise, and clean.

As bigmanbfa2 said, I believe it is fully automated, and all you need to do is give access, if not it is fairly easy to create one, You would just need to create the database, and give it login details, and it will take over.

Its very self automated.

Mashy

Reaction score
I want to add a forum to my site, and don't know whether to use version 2 or 3.
Last time I checked (about half a year ago), phpbb3 was still beta and rather unsecure, so should I use that? Also, will it be easy to upgrade from a beta version to the final release.

Oh, and are there any skins available for it yet? Last time I checked there were none.

Thanks.

ompster

Reaction score
If you login to cPanel you can install phpBB2 via Fantastico De Luxe very easy
cheers

deaddevil

Reaction score
Install phpbb 2.0.22 , its latest stable version, go for rc7 only if you need too, but not necessary.
You can install modded phpbb versions as well as phpbb by default may have less features!