phpinfo() and safe_mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

yahia

Reaction score
I'm installing a blog software, and it didn't want to work.
It's said that I should check whether safe_mode is on or not on my host account. So I can't because phpinfo returns an error and doesn't want to show anything.

Is safe_mode on or off on the free server?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Should be off on free

t2t2t

Reaction score
It's off

Althrough some functions seem to be disabled ([noparse]readfile();)[/noparse]

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Safemode is off but we do have some of the high risk functions disabled. We are looking in the future to enable them on an account by account basis for people who are in good standing and request them.

-Corey

3aKaT

Reaction score
khmm... what about using .htaccess to enable some php core?

MLeeper

Reaction score
Safemode is off but we do have some of the high risk functions disabled. We are looking in the future to enable them on an account by account basis for people who are in good standing and request them.

-Corey

Hi Corey,
Is there anyway I can have readfile() and fsockopen() enabled per my account? My RSS feeds component is now broken (technical speak ;) ). Thanks!

Mike :cool:

t2t2t

Reaction score
Hi Corey,
Is there anyway I can have readfile() and fsockopen() enabled per my account? My RSS feeds component is now broken (technical speak ;) ). Thanks!

About readfile(), if your readfile reads files inside your folders (not off-site like taking them from X site), then you could put include() instead of that.

Thats what i changed in script i used...

MLeeper

Reaction score
About readfile(), if your readfile reads files inside your folders (not off-site like taking them from X site), then you could put include() instead of that.

Thats what i changed in script i used...

Thanks for the advice but it reads XML files from offsite security vendors. Readfile() is required.

Last edited:

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
FILE_GET_CONTENTS? Lol :D I use it to get my ads from x10.

MLeeper

Reaction score
FILE_GET_CONTENTS? Lol :D I use it to get my ads from x10.

Thanks for the advice! The component used the Magpie RSS php class which requires readfile() and fsockopen() to function. I was able to find the Simple-RSS php class which uses file_get_contents. After a little rework on the component, I was able to get it to work once again.

Feeds of my site are still broken but I'm checking into that now.

Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:

DizzyTechnology

Reaction score
Joomla uses the FeedCreator class, and my error log has been filling up with readfile errors. Any idea how to fix this?
error_log said:
[31-Jan-2007 01:05:43] PHP Warning: readfile() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/******/public_html/joomla/includes/feedcreator.class.php on line 674
Edit:
Never mind: Change in feedcreator.class.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.