PlayStation Network is still down

mjserv

Reaction score
Sony really messed up big time. Sony believes that whoever hacked the Playstation Network a week ago has stolen user data. Personal information like name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PSN password and login. Worse part is, they believe people who provided credit card information have also been obtained.

Playstation network is going to be down for another week. I admit it does suck, but just wait it out,Sony will eventually fix it. Just play some single player games until they do.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Last report I heard said •MAY HAVE STOLEN PERSONAL INFORMATION•. Unless that's changed it's not been confirmed yet.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Eh, things happen. I hope Sony found out what exactly led to the hack and resulted in the information being stolen. Anyhow, PSN will be partially back online sometime next week, but not completely according to Sony the last I checked.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
My TV has the XMB built in (Sony TV), and it's also caused them to take the Qriocity service offline for that, too!

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
This is why I'm an xbox lover these days, I hated the PSN and PS3 wrecked playstation for me

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
An extra 24.6 million computer game users may have had personal details stolen by hackers after Sony revealed it had suffered a second major internet breach.

The electronics giant says credit card details, names, addresses, emails, birth dates, phone numbers and other information from customers who played PC games online were stolen. Those affected are customers of Sony Online Entertainment.

News of the latest breach comes after the company announced last week that 77 million Sony PlayStation network users worldwide – including three million in the UK – had data stolen (see the PlayStation breach MSE News story).

Source: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2011/05/sony-reveals-new-gaming-hack

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
An extra 24.6 million computer game users may have had personal details stolen by hackers after Sony revealed it had suffered a second major internet breach.

The electronics giant says credit card details, names, addresses, emails, birth dates, phone numbers and other information from customers who played PC games online were stolen. Those affected are customers of Sony Online Entertainment.

News of the latest breach comes after the company announced last week that 77 million Sony PlayStation network users worldwide – including three million in the UK – had data stolen (see the PlayStation breach MSE News story).

Source: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2011/05/sony-reveals-new-gaming-hack

Saw that last night. It's a bummer they're being attacked, but it's something that could have been prevented if they weren't using outdated builds of RedHat and Apache (in the case of PSN) through the methods that are being used. I'm sure it's someone who's trying to frame Anonymous by stealing information considering recently they were on a rampage against Sony over their removal of Linux support way back when/GeoHotz and Homebrewing.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Saw that last night. It's a bummer they're being attacked, but it's something that could have been prevented if they weren't using outdated builds of RedHat and Apache (in the case of PSN) through the methods that are being used. I'm sure it's someone who's trying to frame Anonymous by stealing information considering recently they were on a rampage against Sony over their removal of Linux support way back when/GeoHotz and Homebrewing.

Continuing? No... This happened 1-2 days before the one that hit the news! Check out the linked article.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score

Bit stupid using outdated webserver software really....

and the removal of linux was bull ****.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Bit stupid using outdated webserver software really....

and the removal of linux was bull ****.

Funny part is, an IRC log between a few people actually revealed that the version of Apache their authentication servers were using (Apache?) had known (to the community) but undocumented (by Apache) exploits that were used to gain remote access to those servers. The fact that it was undocumented gives some leeway, but as to why Apache is being used on an Authentication server with the keys to important info is beyond me. Perhaps I haven't seen the insides of such systems enough?

@Sharky: I didn't exactly mean to say they were ongoing, sorry about that poor word choice.