Please advice...

uplinked

Reaction score
Dear all

I am working on an improved version of my website... http://laviniaswebpage.co.cc

I would like to keep the co.cc domain as my main link for this page for now. However, I have the following two concerns:

1. Should I invest in the heavy workload of designing one coherent page with all my content shown in the center column or is it ok/nice/functional with my five separate pages (news, guestbook, comics, contact, login)?

2. Does anyone know how to make the subfolder show (like http://laviniaswebpage.co.cc/contact directorylisting) on the co.cc domain through my code? I have designed automatic links in my emails and these get the wrong url as you can see...

Very thankful for advice! :biggrin:

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Your main navigation problem is the frameset. The only thing that's sitting at your co.cc URL is the frame that contains your pages; everything else is at new.uplinked.x10hosting.com. If your co.cc subdomain doesn't point to your x10hosting account, then you can't use a co.cc URL to point directly at your x10hosting.com content.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping the pages separate; combining them would make things more difficult for the user (the inconvenience for you is nothing compared to user frustration). Just lose the frameset -- you don't need it, and you should be sending your visitors directly to your index page. (That will also make direct links to the rest of your site possible.) Folding your login form into all of your other pages (rather than having only a separate login page) would be an improvement, but it's not something that you'd need to worry about right away.

I would suggest leaving co.cc behind, though. Google doesn't index co.cc sites anymore for a number of reasons (malware, content farms, "black hat" SEO). If you want visitors to be able to find your site, then either stick with the x10hosting.com domain or get a domain from another registrar. If you can afford even a little, a "proper" domain name (like laviniaswebpage.com -- which is available, by the way) can be a good, inexpensive investment, but just about anything is better then a co.cc domain unless you're only looking for traffic from people who you send emails to or who hang out in the same forums you do.

uplinked

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the feedback... I have this alternative co.cc url since I have my GoogleApps through them, just as recommended here on the forum... I understand that I don't need the "domain" with them to make my mail work. I will change that if co.cc is problematic, I do want traffic, of all kind, it doesn't hurt.

I plan to move this new page to my regular one at x10hosting.com (http://uplinked.x10hosting.com), but I wanted to finish improving it first, as it will replace my current one. Thanks for the advice on embedding the login, I didn't think about it...

I was considering switch statements for "merging" all my pages, I have already done that in my log in area and some public parts, but that causes a (bloody) refresh too... You are welcome to log in with "Guest" and "password" (try twice if it doesn't let you in the first time...) to see how I've done it so far...

So, I would only be gaining on "heavy work load" such as printing everything directly in the center column... Which is quite difficult and time consuming... You can see what I mean if you e.g. answer my survey and afterwords refresh my art sample on the external part of my web page... They are kind of independent of each other, without a visible refresh...

What can I use instead of my divs (I don't have a frameset? I have nested divs) then to get the same functionality for my merged pages (regarding layout solutions and so on)? I have been working hard on making some areas independent with php and JavaScript... Any suggestions to make my life easier?

Big thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: