Please have a look and review my site!

baz_m_191

Reaction score
Please review my site... Im new to this and although I use the rest of the CS Suite regularly, Dreamweaver has been a nightmare!

Please let me know your thoughts and any improvements

www.becreative.x10.bz

Cheers
Baz

omg88

Reaction score
I like the sketch intro.. Good job.. Site looks sleek as well...

baz_m_191

Reaction score
Thank you very much for taking the time to look an also thanks for the great comments... Really chuffed!

Now to get some more business in!!

Any constructive criticism?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd really give a lot of thought to getting rid of Flash. Seriously. It's not just because of a bunch of uptight people like myself who browse with FlashBlock (it eliminates an awful lot of the most annoying and distracting badness of a lot of websites and ads), but it's not supported on Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad). That doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of the effects altogether, but it does mean moving to newer tech. (Adobe is beginning to roll out HTML5/CSS/JS authoring tools that should give you most of the Flash-y goodness—and it is goodness if it's used appropriately and done well—without running into device- and OS-support dead ends.)

That said, there's not enough on your landing page. You know what's "inside", and you even know that "inside" is the clickable link that will get you there. It's not obvious to the user in any way, though, and there's not enough information on the landing page to entice the user into looking for the mystery navigation element—assuming they are going to wait through the drawing animation for the element to appear. For most users (potential clients), that's a paddling (back button).

Your "intro.html" is almost what your landing page should be. (You could conceivably add a show-off animation to that page, rename it "index.html" and call it a day.) It has a concise description (some of it by implication) of what your business is all about, and there are clear links to the site's innards. I would make all of the bold text in the bullet points on the left links to the appropriate section of the site, though—they look like they should be calls to action, and I was immediately drawn to click on them.

It seems you have a little bit left to learn about the idioms of web communication. If it makes sense for something to be a link, and is different enough from the surrounding text to attract the eye, then it must be a link. Don't think of usability testing as optional (and don't fall into the trap of doing the testing yourself—you know too much about your design to be able to test it). That doesn't have to mean hiring consultants or extra testing staff (difficult for a very small shop or a one-man operation to sustain); hallway testing will do. You will quickly learn to identify the major user expectations and behaviours, see what frustrates people, and what makes them click on your money-makers (in this case, your in-depth sales pitch).

As for Dreamweaver... yes, it is a bit of a problem. It's a designer's tool for a coder's world. And it doesn't help that it's an acquiredd third-party product that doesn't integrate well with the rest of the suite (from a UI perspective—and, honestly, the former Macromedia products have been historically bad in the same way). Really, the faster you can learn to do what Dreamweaver does by yourself, the better off you'll be, even if that just means learning to spend most of your time in code view mode rather than in design mode. It can be hard for a Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign user to learn to give up pixel-perfect control, but it will make a world of difference to your web design and coding. Two great resources to look at are Smashing Magazine and A List Apart.

On the whole, though, I like your design. It shows a good use of graphics, typography, colour, whitespace and (perhaps most importantly) restraint. Once your design is as usable as it is attractive, I think you'll find that the marketing will become a lot easier. Conversions are key. Even if you can persuade a billion internet users to come to your site by putting ads all over the place and making sure you're at the top of every search result, you won't get conversions (in your case, consultation requests and RFPs) if you can't keep them clicking on things that will convince them more than ever that your services are exactly what they need. You're on the right track; just pay a bit more attention to usability and testing, and you'll be okay.

baz_m_191

Reaction score
Thanks for a very in depth review, it is much appreciated and very informative.

The reason I didn't use html5 was that I wasn't aware of being readily supported or which programme to use. I have since found adobe edge which I will try and have already converted the opening animation to html5.... Was a nightmare to get it centred!!!

I have also changed the inside a simple enter rollover.

I have thought about removing the landing page totally but will see what people think when I test it.... The above comment liked it.

Thanks again and any further advice will be warmly received!!

Baz

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong—I like the animation too. It's just the lack of navigation hints on the landing page (as it was when I found it) that's problematic. There were a lot of things that looked like they should have been clickable but weren't. A hybrid of the landing page and your intro.html would be ideal for your site (with the added links I discussed above), since it will both wow the visitor and give them quick access to the details. That quick access is important to users who know what they're looking for in a designer (and whose own time is worth money), and it will help search engine crawlers determine the relative importance of things. (A site map is a declaration you make to the engine, but if it's not confirmed by followable links, it'll be taken with a grain of salt and may affect your search ranking.)

ellescuba27

Reaction score
You shouldn't use a space in filenames, like "gallery noflash.html" unless there is some serverside I don't know about?
I liked the gallery, but the links didn't glow like they should. Make sure you stick with the glowing button theme throughout the site.
Really neat effects with the scrollbar.