Please Review My Photography Site.

solilphoto

Reaction score
http://soliloquy.elementfx.com/

This is the company website that I share with my fiance, its for our photography business. Let me know what you think. I think its pretty good. I did it all by trial and error, I've never been taught HTML in a formal setting, instead I taught myself. I can edit CSS but I can't write it so I had found a free template online, kept the CSS intact for the most part although I did change some things and delete others, and redid all of the graphics because I wanted a less generic, more artsy feel, but less traditionally photographic. I didn't want to be just like every other photography business out there with the reserved, straight forward, all black design; we are going for artistic and fun, yet sophisticated as far as our company's atmosphere and I wanted something that reflects that. (I went to college for Graphic Design).

All the HTML I wrote from scratch using my own knowledge and Adobe GoLive. As for the portfolio, that was a free PHP script that I got from the internet and just customized to have the same colors as the rest of the website. All the photos in the portfolio with the exception of the Engagement Portraits section are my fiance's, the Engagement Portraits are my own photos. There is also a link on the portfolio main page that can be used to return to the info page instead of having to use the browsers back buttons. You click the link and it keeps you in the same window, but takes you back to the info page. I use, on our contact page, a contact form powered by 123 contactform, which sends an email once you fill it out and click send to our email on the web host. Once you fill out the form you get sent to our thank you page, and it just says thank you for filling our contact form, we will reply to any questions you may have as soon as possible. And that page looks just like all the others.

We hope to get a domain one of these days but right now its here like this. So let me know what you think of this.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No shame in modifying a template to suit your (or the clients) needs for tis where most web deigners start their career.

Uncluttered, stylish, flows well and everything a good photographers web site should be, right up until we come to the gallery then the layout changes. This really needs a re-think in my opinion, the showcasing of your work in the best manner possible IS the whole reason for the site after all. Would suggest something a little simpler than a full blown php auto thumbnail creator and go with a javascript /jquery slideshow. Here are some to consider.. http://www.themeflash.com/30-powerful-jquery-slideshow-sliders-plugins-and-tutorials/

Not going to pick holes in the CSS, it works and that's what counts. Running the business comes first, getting to grips with the finer points of coding a web site can wait.

One thing to remember, for photography sites the meta and alt tags are particulary important as search engines have no eyes.