please review my site advice needed

b0bv1la

Reaction score
This is my first try at designing a website and could use all the help I can get and any advice given will be greatly appreciated. Dont worry about hurting my feelings Im looking for advice to make my site better. I know I have a few problems with the code which Im still working on but something with Frontpage changed some font sizes and relocated a few things but Im getting them back in place. You can find the site here: http://www.cccsclub.x10hosting.com

Thanks for looking

sunils

Reaction score
Need to change th background. Need to change the font also

FalseHope

Reaction score
I would suggest a color as a background instead of a picture, as you can never get font colors right with some pictures as the background. You'll need something more "professional".

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Remove the background image - too distracting.
You can also resize the picture and change it to JPEG so that it does not take so long to load. Yeah the fonts would stand out better once the background is removed or toned down.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I think my favorite part is this:

http://www.cccsclub.x10hosting.com/2-10-08 125.jpg

That's a 2576x1932 900kb jpeg you have scaled down to 405x254 in your index page.

That's not the problem - the problem is it isn't actually resized. The web browser has to download the entire 900kb image to display it - it isn't that hard to get an image editor capable of scaling that down to 405x254.

To demonstrate my point I saved the image and resized it locally via photoshop - it scaled a 900kb image down to 101kb with quality level 12 (maximum) on the jpeg - you really need to do that, otherwise anyone on anything slower than broadband is going to be trying to figure out why the page is taking so long to load.

(Edit: Jensen nina'd me on this by seconds >_<)

Plus it says New Page 1, that's bad. The background makes this text unreadable:
Your local forecast
available at weather.com
and needs to get fixed.

And moving down the line, the facilities page is broken - it has plenty of these to go around:
BUT WAIT! There's good news - your pictures on that page are roughly the same size as the one on the front page, but the thumbnails shown are actually resized images - just need to do it on the front page so the front page doesn't take too long to load on 56k (or should it happen to get popular, so it's not wasting 1mb per cache-clearing refresh when someone goes to load the front page).

The word facilities is likely on the black background because the actual image background makes it difficult to read; as stated earlier that background should get changed anyways, so maybe it won't need the black background when that's fixed.

Events: I know you probably needed a calendar maker for that, particularly since it's got the tag right on the bottom. It's well worth the effort if you just take the time to do it yourself so it doesn't have the tag that is half as big as the calendar that says what program was used to create it. Tables aren't that hard - a good tutorial and some copy/pasting and you've got it done already.

Newsletter: Empty. I'm guessing that's there for expansion reasons, but it's a bad idea to have a link to what is essentially an empty page.

Officers: I'm guessing those are fake names, and again with the black background - if the background image is bad enough that you need to put the text on a background, change the background image. Plus the positions are clickable and bring up your email client - you might wanna change that to the name itself (generally speaking, you see stuff like this: Webadmin: Livewire, although you could do both if you wanted as well).

Contact Us: There's a rather glaring glitch on this page that would scream fraud to just about anyone who catches it - you have the email as info@cccsclub.com, but if you click it, it's actually a mailto a new address at aol.com - Add to that the fact that cccsclub.com seems to be a completely different website than yours, and I'd say I'm looking at either a copy/paste job gone south, or something more malicious - it'd be a good idea to fix that.

Did I mention all the page titles are stuff like New Page 1, New Page 2, New Page 3, New Page 4, and New Page 5? That's something that should definitely get fixed.

In short:

1) Page titles!
2) Background images!
3) ! Get your email addresses matching!

I apologize if you think I'm being overly critical, but if you take any suggestion out of here, at least get it so the right mailto: address is on the contact us page (not the link itself necessarily, but where it SAYS it's linking to) - that makes it look very much like a scam, and it's definitely a bad reflection on the site itself.

Last edited:

b0bv1la

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advice and don't worry about being critical this is the stuff I need to hear Im a newbie and I want this site to look more professional. I'm not worried about making changes because this is my first draft. All advice is very appreciated and I'll continue to work on it.

Thanks again

b0bv1la

Reaction score
Yes I use Frontpage which seems to be a very easy WYSIWYG editor but finding a host especially a free one with Frontpage extensions was rough so I find myself getting used to the editor in CPanel and learning more HTML which for a newbie can be time consuming to say the least but I learn alot by trial and error more error on my part than I like but hey Im still learning

tittat

Reaction score
font and background not appealing...want to work on it.
add more content....