Please review my website, be kind it's my first attempt ever

gcscfort

Prime Account
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at building a website for our Dog training Club. I'm using the Wordpress platform and plugins. Any recommendations or constructive criticism welcome.

http://gahundesport.com

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not my cup of tea (and I bet hobbyists of every stripe hear that a lot), but there are only a couple of things that leap out at me. The first is that you might want to change the footer text that says:
This text can be changed from the Miscellaneous section of the settings page.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, cras ut imperdiet augue.

It doesn't much matter what you change it to, but anything that says "you're not done until you've done this part" that the user can see tends to leave a bit of a bad impression. Because of where it sits on the page, it's not quite as obvious as, say, "Headline Goes Here", but it still sticks out a bit.

The second killer is the site banner/header. It's a highly-compressed JPEG of some high-contrast graphics, so it has a lot of squiggly action going on that shouldn't be part of the picture. If you have a high-quality version of the image available to you, then you can re-save the image with a much lower compression ratio (larger file size). There are utilities that will squish a JPEG down quite a bit without introducing the artifacts (squigglies, etc., that shouldn't be part of the image), both online and as downloadable software (I've been pretty pleased with JPEGmini, but it's not the only game in town) - just search for "jpeg minify". That should leave the file size and download time just about the same as it is now, or only very slightly bigger, but make the image look much cleaner. (It's also worthwhile running your large photos through a minifier. You can still have good quality, but reduce the file size/storage space and the upload/download time quite a bit.)

Oh, I think the word "Work" on the "What is Schutzhund and IPO" page, right after the bullet list, is supposed to be part of the "Desire to" item just above (minor typo).

leroymc2

Reaction score
its ok if you can find your way to the site. i had to actually do some surfing to find ur site. it shows test page as index and thats not a pleasant visit experience for visitors. they see that will never return or even bother trying to figure what ur site is about.

maybe fix the main page so it shows your main site.

it looks nice other then that tho

studio5

Reaction score
Very nice, and awesome topic, it should do very well! Hard to believe that is your first web site?

You should think about training Cadiver dogs too, very simple, just takes a long time and works well with the dogs that washout for K-9.

Last edited: