Please review my website

urbanrif

Reaction score
I'm a singer, songwriter, guitarist that has built this website to post a little info about myself, and share my experience tips, tricks I have come across over the years. This website has not been up long, there is lots more to come; diagrams, animations, scales, theory of music, videos, resources.

www.urbanriffs.co.uk

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The Forum font looks horrible on Chrome/Windows, and the JavaScript that's making a marquee out of the <title> has got to go. @font-face is a bad idea in general unless your site is only aimed at people with wired broadband (too few designers seem to grasp the concepts of download time, maximum simultaneous HTTP requests, and data caps) and while there are fall-back fonts in your theme's CSS, only one browser is currently able to use them (and that's only in the latest update, which was last week, I think). Everybody else will wind up with a text-free page with a few scattered lines on it if there's a problem downloading the font file(s).

The site itself is good apart from that. I'm not sure how the notebook style is going to go over in the wider world; the current trend is to ditch anything that resembles objects in the physical world, derisorily (and incorrectly) calling it "skeuomorphism" and having a grand old laugh. It depends who your audience is, and you won't really know that until you have one.

urbanrif

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to write a constructive review, its very much appreciated. Can you recommend a word press theme that is responsive, looks clean?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I quite like it - I do agree about the changing page title, though. It seems to run a lot slower when the page isn't in the foreground, too. I have no problem with the things-that-looks-like-real-things approach, but there does seem to be a slight glitch with the wood pattern in the background on scrolling that you might want to have a look at.

http://www.img42.com/Fm33Q < illustrative screen capture

Oh, and when hovering over E minor Pentatonic Scales, it splits to two lines...maybe try a different effect if you can instead of making the text bold, or use no effect - the mouse pointer changes when hovering over a link anyway.

urbanrif

Reaction score
Hi sharky, I decided to stick with a basic theme in the end which loads a lot quicker. It looks simple, but its all I need. :)

urbanrif

Reaction score
Can someone kindly take a few moments to look at my website and give a it a review. I've added and edited a different theme and tried to keep it simple.

www.urbanriffs.co.uk

Thanks all

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Error establishing a database connection
...apparently.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Unless you really want comments (and are willing to take anti-spam measures), get rid of the "Leave a Reply"/disable comments.

urbanrif

Reaction score
Error establishing a database connection
...apparently.
I had no idea about that message being there, it was all working fine my side up to 7pm last night before I went offline. Thanks for posting.

Unless you really want comments (and are willing to take anti-spam measures), get rid of the "Leave a Reply"/disable comments.
Thanks for the tip, I will remove that ;)

Last edited:

studio5

Reaction score
I like it! Very educational and well designed.

I believe as user I would like to see the demo music open on the page rather than in a new window, perhaps on an iframe or duplicate the page with the music in a div area

Last edited:

Managespaces

Reaction score
It is really a good website..
i think you must have to add theme to it..then it will look better..:)

Zenax

Reaction score
Hey,

Just looking at the theme now and it looks great. Just a few tweaks to it that I would perhaps change, and that would be the header image. To me it seems like there is too much black space above the "free guitar tutorials and resources", perhaps push it up a bit, to neaten that up. Other than that there is not much else wrong with the site. It loads clean and fast. No issues connecting to the database, and looks great.