PNG Images

Viriya

Reaction score
I want to use PNG images in my website, but only IE7 works with the transparency. Is there any way to get it to work with later vesions if IE?

Sohail

Reaction score
PNG files don't work very well in previous browsers but we have all the latest browser now like IE7, Firefox 2, etc...

javayathzee

Reaction score
yeah, but almost all people now days have FF2 or IE7. If they don't you can pretty much ignore them (at least I mostly do).
If you are in a situation where that's not an option, you can do some poor transparencies with GIFs. They only have on/off transparency, so it's not the best solution. but it works.

Hazirak

Reaction score
Actually, if you ignore IE6, you're still ignoring 20-40% of the web browsing population as of February '08 (give or take a percent or two).

While the statistics don't exactly agree on just how much it's used, they all agree that IE6 is still very much alive.

StephenCronin

Reaction score
But IE6 is on the way out. It may not be sensible to ignore it yet, but the day is fast approaching. There are some large sites which don't work well on IE6 already.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
A lot of sites like AOL and Yahoo ask people to upgrade as well to a better browser, like my site tells people to use Firefox for the best viewing. As for the PNG, make the image border or background the same as the background that is on the page.

Hazirak

Reaction score
I'm not saying it's not on its way out - it seems to be losing around 1% of its browser share a month, on average. I'm just pointing out the fault behind assuming that almost everyone today uses something else. At the current rate of migration, it will still be a year before we can stop at least giving a slight thought toward IE6 during the design process.

kkenny

Reaction score
You could still always revert back to transparent gifs.
Those work with IE6 last time I checked.

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
In many cases, transparent GIFs actually work. Alpha transparency (semi transparency) is rarely necessary in the vast majority of website designs, although it should of course be supported in all browsers :)