Reaction score
DUP...

Last edited:

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
It may be down, because images are disapearing
might be do to...
x10hosting now deletes files 10 MiB (or larger) in size - that have been on the server (in any folder) for more than about 4 hours - from non-upgraded free-hosting accounts only

the 4 hours time limit allows users to upload and extract site backups - and is not for short term file hosting...

you can store the files at a file-hosting service (which x10hosting free-hosting is not) then link to them from your Web page

see --> 'Terms of Service' (TOS) at [ File Storage ] --> [ https://x10hosting.com/legal/terms-of-service ]
###

or might be do the issue that others had had the last few days - where CSS files are not sent....

pocketli

Reaction score
I don't know, deleting files over 10 MB sounds stupid and is very inconvenient. Unsure if I should switch hosting providers or not. My 'index.html' is 8 MB which means that if it grows 2 MBs more, my whole web page would be DELETED. Wow.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's a bit large for a web page. Far from ideal. Especially for a static HTML file.
Indeed. That's the combined sizes of all five of the Charles Dickens novels I've transcribed to well-typset HTML so far (with CSS as a <style> element in the <head> and flourishes and initials as data: URIs to make the files completely self-contained), plus W. Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage and Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species. How much freakin' lint can there be in a pocket anyway?

pocketli

Reaction score
Okay okay. First of all, I have big pockets and secondly I misread the file size. It's 8 KB, not 8 MB. JEEZ! An 8 MB page would be a frickin mile long.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Glad to hear that. Believe it or not, there are pages out there that are around that size. All text, usually Comic Sans if they can manage it, or bold italics if they can't, in multiple colours and sizes... and... um... there must be a polite way of putting this... usually dealing with an alternative view of reality? But there are also pages that look kind of normal, but it's all tables nested in tables nested in tables with inline styling everywhere like it's still 1996. It's amazing how much markup you can use to put up what amounts to a single old-fashioned typewritten page if you really put your mind to it (or if you're working from a late-'90s "for dummies" sort of tutorial/library book and didn't check to see if anything's changed since then).

pocketli

Reaction score
Glad to hear that. Believe it or not, there are pages out there that are around that size. All text, usually Comic Sans if they can manage it, or bold italics if they can't, in multiple colours and sizes... and... um... there must be a polite way of putting this... usually dealing with an alternative view of reality? But there are also pages that look kind of normal, but it's all tables nested in tables nested in tables with inline styling everywhere like it's still 1996. It's amazing how much markup you can use to put up what amounts to a single old-fashioned typewritten page if you really put your mind to it (or if you're working from a late-'90s "for dummies" sort of tutorial/library book and didn't check to see if anything's changed since then).
Hey, back in August 2016 I totally redesigned the website. How is it now?