PollDaddy Plugin for WordPress 2.9.1 Unable to Connect w/Host Issue

lennyboy

Reaction score
I have WordPress 2.9.1 installed on my account which works beautifully. I was able to set up an account with PollDaddy for their plugin for WordPress and was able to create a poll on their website (before I knew about the plugin). I was able to copy the code they gave me for WordPress and it works fine in my blog. Here's the problem:

Within the WordPress on my server, I installed the PollDaddy plugin. It shows that it's installed fine, but I'm always prompted in WordPress admin that I..."You need to input your PollDaddy.com account details." So, I click the link it provides and I put in my PollDaddy email address and password and click the submit button. I'm always getting either a, "couldn't connect to host" or a "connect() timed out!" message whether I use the SSL Log In or not.

I'm wondering if it's because I need to somehow allow access from my WordPress to connect through my server to PollDaddy? If so, how would that be done? If not, what other reasons might cause this. It's been happening for three days, now.

TIA

Len

lennyboy

Reaction score
(Gentle Bump) - Wow, heh-heh, not even an answer from the WordPress people or the PollDaddy forums. Interesting. Any thoughts, anyone?

TIA

Lenny
Edit:
I received the following by email from PollDaddy...

Hi Len,

is it possible that your host is blocking communication between the plugin and the Polldaddy API, api.polldaddy.com?

Can you contact them and see if this site can be added to a whitelist of approved sites, this has been an issue in the past.
--
Eoin Gallagher | Support
PollDaddy.com​

If anyone from X10Hosting is watching, is this something that could cause the problem, and if so can it be corrected?

Thank you.

Len

Last edited:

lennyboy

Reaction score
That would certainly make sense. Thanks. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. I look forward to their reply.

lennyboy

Reaction score

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is this the right venue to ask this question, or should I hunt down another form or email address for X10?
"Scripts & 3rd Party Apps" is appropriate, as is the "Free Hosting" forum. To ensure a response, you should probably open a ticket, which will first start a thread in "Free Hosting". If an admin truly needs to look in to it, the thread can be escalated. However, the usual response is to ask your plugin provider to support standard ports (80 and 443 are both open on X10, if the plug-in uses HTTP).

Last edited:

lennyboy

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll see what PollDaddy says before starting a ticket here. I really appreciate the help.

Len

lennyboy

Reaction score
Well, nothing yet from PollDaddy, so it's looking like I'll have to use their tools at their site to create any polls (which really won't be that often), and insert their code into my blog.

Otherwise? Looks and works good for me as is. Thank you, mission, for your help.

Len

lennyboy

Reaction score
FWIW, I could never get the PollDaddy plugin to work with WordPress. No problem, though. I decided to go with an add-on widget called WP Polls, and it perfectly fits my needs and I can keep all of this on my own site and not go through a 3rd party vendor. Works for me! :)

hyssyd

Reaction score
A heads up for using wp-polls, if you have a free host account.

WP-Polls may cause a high system usage suspension.

lennyboy

Reaction score
A heads up for using wp-polls, if you have a free host account.

WP-Polls may cause a high system usage suspension.

Okay. Hm. If that's the case, can anyone recommend a good Poll plug in for WordPress that works on X10 that doesn't cause problems?

Thanks.

Len