Poor me, I'm a writer

Christina

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined the club. What a brilliant deal this x10hosting is.

I'm a writer, living in Northern Ireland. My publisher asked me if I had a website so I decided to take the plunge.

If you're curious you can see the result at http://christinamckenna.exofire.net

Bye for now, but like the Terminator, I'll be back :biggrin:

Zenax

Reaction score
its good, however, the hover over on the links to get the text is annoying. I would much rather have the box the same size as the one above, and then remove the logo background. That should be placed elsewhere.

However, It is a very good layout. Simple, clean and easy to use. Which in my oppinion are the three main important things about a web design.

Hope this helps.

Slothie

Reaction score
Excellent, I'm a reader. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Christina

Reaction score
its good, however, the hover over on the links to get the text is annoying. I would much rather have the box the same size as the one above, and then remove the logo background. That should be placed elsewhere.

However, It is a very good layout. Simple, clean and easy to use. Which in my oppinion are the three main important things about a web design.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Zenax. I'll pass the comments on to hubby who designed the site. He's proud of the fact it's all on a single page. :rolleyes:
Edit:
Excellent, I'm a reader. I'd love to see what you come up with.

You can download a couple of samples, Slothie. ;)

Last edited:

ryoko126

Reaction score
Awsome. Welcome to the site. I'm an ametur writer and artist too, so it's good to see other's that make it with their talents.

tgkprog

Reaction score
there is something wrong with the site http://christinamckenna.exofire.net/ took forever to download/ render .. at same time i opened my site also on x 10 and it opened fine in 30 seconds

maybe u can just ue front page or oter simple editor to make ur pages - i saw lot of java script that i thought was not needed for a simple site ...

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript"><!--
function land(ref, target)
{
lowtarget=target.toLowerCase();
if (lowtarget=="_self") {window.location=loc;}
else {if (lowtarget=="_top") {top.location=loc;}
else {if (lowtarget=="_blank") {window.open(loc);}
else {if (lowtarget=="_parent") {parent.location=loc;}
else {parent.frames[target].location=loc;};
}}}
}
function jump(menu)
{
ref=menu.choice.options[menu.choice.selectedIndex].value;
splitc=ref.lastIndexOf("*");
target="";
if (splitc!=-1)
{loc=ref.substring(0,splitc);
target=ref.substring(splitc+1,1000);}
else {loc=ref; target="_self";};
if (ref != "") {land(loc,target);}
}
//--></script>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin

image1 = new Image();
image1.src = "pix/blackhill_big.jpg";

image2 = new Image();
image2.src = "pix/milltown_big.jpg";

image3 = new Image();

---

etc...
Edit:
http://xenonovel.x10hosting.com/ u need to update ur index page . is still default x10 page

Last edited:

galen

Reaction score
I like the hover personally. What would be good to change is the small boxes that appear when you hover over the links.
Really nice site, welcome to x10

toloratedmeat

Reaction score
I reckon its quite nice. but in the little tv screen there should be a .mov of a short introduction. if anyone's gonna back me up on this do it now

ryoko126

Reaction score
The only thing about a .mov is that those of us that still have dialup would have incredible lag in loading. That makes the person too impatient. An alternative could be an animated gif that looks like a movie though.

aquila

Reaction score
it's clean nice and pleasant to look at. my only gripe is your paintings are way to small. making them larger would showcase them better :)
Edit:
i take that back about the pictures. they do enlarge silly me forgetting to click on the image to see if anything happens but for some reason the picture flickers a lot before it would settle down. very disrupting to the sight?

Last edited:

Christina

Reaction score
Well, hubby and I took the great advice given here! Because it took aaaaaaaaaaages to load the big pix, they're gone. Still haven't decided what to do about the TV image. Thanks Ryoko for that suggestion.

Hubby doesn't know what to do about that little box that appears under a link. It's only in Internet Explorer, a browser we steer clear of, mostly because Firefox is miles better, but mainly because we're Mac peeps. He's only an amateur at webdesign so he'd welcome any suggestions as to how he can get rid of it!

Thanks, again. BTW Ryoko, I tried several times to visit your novel site but it seems to be down :(