Poor Uptime - My site is always down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

healthnews18.com

Reaction score
Is it only for me or to any other facing this? 80 out 100 times, I am not able to access my site properly. Surely, it's an uptime issue, coz my site is opening pretty well some times in the day.

It's a free hosting, I know I should'nt complaint too much. For me and my site, this proves to be disastrous.
I repeat, nothing really wrong with site. It's the servers that are down most of the times.

Any solution?

healthnews18.com

Reaction score
This surely impacts my decision of upgrading to premium account in x10hosting.
I have chosen x10hosting because, I can setup and design my site with free hosting plan. I have to upgrade to premium service very soon may be in next 15 days or so.

But I am too worried about this uptime issue.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
You will not experience these same issues on a paid service. Free and paid are hosted on different servers with fewer users and get priority maintenance etc to ensure you have a very high uptime. They couldn't say '99.9% Guaranteed Uptime.' if they couldn't achieve it.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
You are joking, aren't you?

I am not saying that x10 paid hosting does not have that uptime, but this is the Internet.

When $ is involved on something this big it's very bad to lie, hence why it's 99.9 and not 100%. At rough estimate that's something like a maximum of 40 minutes downtime for the entire month, although the most I've seen is 10-15 for an apache update :)

Plus x10's not trying to scam someone; scam sites would put it up, but x10's not trying to steal money or force you to paid.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
They are also a registered business. They can be held accountable for what they say on the internet. If they promise a service that offers 99.9% uptime and they don't actually give that, then they have not fully fulfilled their end of the contract and the customer has the right to ask for a suitable refund. Therefore, it is in their financial interest to achieve what they promise.

dlukin

Reaction score
Plus x10's not trying to scam someone; scam sites would put it up, but x10's not trying to steal money or force you to paid.

Where did I say they were?

lemon-tree made a statement that has been shown to be false hundreds of times on sites in the Internet.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Where did I say they were?

lemon-tree made a statement that has been shown to be false hundreds of times on sites in the Internet.

I'm more pointing out it's a registered company, same as lemon-tree is. A lot of the sites that make the claim aren't legitimate companies and pretty much can't be held liable; x10 can be in this case, which is a pretty big deal for them if they were to miss and go under 99.9% uptime.

daggius

Reaction score
they guaranteed 98% uptime after the move to chicago

we had maybe a week of uptime, then back to this, 50%+ downtime. either sql or the whole site is down or bogus suspension for extreme system resource usage, which only happens when they are tinkering with the server anyway. two weeks of terminations cause this according to status page. we're going to have two weeks of 50%+ downtime. Let's be honest, the estimates are always too short. It will be a month of downtime. Then when they finally finish the terminations they will find something else to tinker with and we'll have more downtime.

so much for 98% uptime we were promised

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
they guaranteed 98% uptime after the move to chicago

we had maybe a week of uptime, then back to this, 50%+ downtime. either sql or the whole site is down or bogus suspension for extreme system resource usage, which only happens when they are tinkering with the server anyway. two weeks of terminations cause this according to status page. we're going to have two weeks of 50%+ downtime. Let's be honest, the estimates are always too short. It will be a month of downtime. Then when they finally finish the terminations they will find something else to tinker with and we'll have more downtime.

so much for 98% uptime we were promised

I looked and found the thread in question: http://x10hosting.com/forums/news-announcements/115601-updates-upgrades-etc.html

It never says anything about being GUARANTEED 98% uptime; in this case the servers were moving faster but if you'd rather leave 50,000+ accounts to clog up the servers and eventually slow them to a crawl, that's one thing. Yes, the terminations are slowing things down, but the tradeoff is leaving them there and eventually the servers would be back to square 1 again.

That said, it did indicate they were confident they could maintain 98% uptime, and they were able to until the terminations started up. The problem was with the inactivity suspensions and some accounts not being linked, they couldn't run the terminations until they knew everyone who actually wanted their account had gotten it relinked, or they'd risk destroying a website that was still in use.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
bogus suspension for extreme system resource usage
I has actually proven to be very effective. Any normally functioning site will come nowhere near the limits and anyone who has repeat suspensions has really got to rethink what scripts they are using. If they didn't have that rule in place, the servers would constantly be bogged down by badly written scripts or sites with too many plugins.

As for the recent downtime, it hasn't been 50%. It has actually been 94.23%, which is very reasonable for a free service that has been on the move.

Last edited:

daggius

Reaction score
my site has nothing on it that uses a lot of resources and i know from experience and close attention that high system resource suspensions ONLY happen when x10 is tinkering with their setup

it is a symptom of this and nothing else

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
my site has nothing on it that uses a lot of resources and i know from experience and close attention that high system resource suspensions ONLY happen when x10 is tinkering with their setup

it is a symptom of this and nothing else

Do you use any plugins on your wordpress blog? Wordpress alone normally runs fine, but with a few plugins it's enough to trip high resource usage. Supercache is the big one, but based on the source of your page it doesn't look like supercache is enabled (it leaves a comment with page-execution time).

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
and i know from experience and close attention that high system resource suspensions ONLY happen when x10 is tinkering with their setup
Also speaking from experience, my website has never been suspended for high system resource usage, (or anything else). If I was ever suspended for high resource usage I would accept that as a fair warning to to take a hard look at my website, find the problem, and fix it - something which is usually not very hard to do. When server maintenance does happen to put a temporary heavy load on a particular servers resources then websites on that server may be inaccessible for a short period of time, but nobody is going to get suspended because of that.

daggius

Reaction score
nope i dont use supercache

again i don't need help debugging the suspension issue since i realized that it will stop happening as soon as x10 finishes the terminations it mentioned in the status report

i dont know where you came up with that 94% number, but if the uptime on lotus was anything close to that I would not be complaining at all. fact is, my site is down at least half the time with 503 errors or server too busy or database error (sql is down) and that's just frustrating as we have been very patient and were supposed to expect 98% uptime after the server move and it's nothing close to that. after short period of great performance, we went straight back to the usual mishaps

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
i dont know where you came up with that 94% number
It's called a host tracker. So I get my numbers from a reliable source rather than guess:
Year: 95.88%
Month: 94.23%
Week: 93.39%

Whether or not X10 are running maintenance shouldn't make a difference to suspensions as the restrictions remain the same and the script will still only use the same number of resources. Unless the script takes a huge amount of time to execute that is, but in that case you really need to rewrite it.

Status
Not open for further replies.