Possible fsockopen problem

boba899

Reaction score
I'm using the Roundcube webmail client to access my Gmail account, but when I try to log in to it via Gmail IMAP servers (connecting to ssl://imap.gmail.com:933) roundcube returns this error

Code:
[17-Nov-2008 18:41:50] PHP Warning:  fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to ssl://imap.gmail.com:993 (Connection timed out) in /home/boba899/public_html/rc/program/lib/imap.inc on line 545
[17-Nov-2008 18:42:13 -0500] IMAP Error: Could not connect to ssl://imap.gmail.com at port 993: Connection timed out in  on line 0 (POST /rc/?_task=&_action=login)

Is fsockopen disabled? I'm on level 2 PHP (at least I'm pretty sure I was, tried logging in but my account can't be retrieved from the backend, I'm assuming it's to do with the move. I remember being on the Lotus server). Or is port 993/SSL just blocked on x10hosting?

Cheers!

boba899

Reaction score
Oops, sorry, I meant the normal port for SSL, 993. Is this blocked? If so, is there any way around it? I would have thought the normal HTTP/HTTPS ports would all be open.

boba899

Reaction score
I've fiddled with the config file used to connect to the IMAP server. The options I'm changing are:

IMAP Server - used these address: ssl://imap.gmail.com:993, ssl://imap.gmail.com, imap.gmail.com, and those addresses with googlemail instead of gmail.

TCP port used for IMAP connections: 80, 993

When I use either an ssl:// option or have the use of port 993 in my config file, I get a timed out error in the log file. When I use port 80, it returns a connection error straight away, rather than timing out. All of the errors are reported with

Code:
PHP Warning:  fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]:

at the beginning. Stumped as to the cause. Either a blocked port, which seems the most likely I guess, or something to do with fsockopen(). I did have this setup working perfectly until maybe.. 2, 3 weeks ago, then I encountered these problems, and haven't been able to connect since.