postfix mail server

bidzey75

Reaction score
I'm looking at the configuration for postfix email server trying to figure out why everything is working except for when I'm trying to send (SMTP) mail using a client. (mozilla thunderbird, outlook). I created a user on my VPS with an email address and all Web base emails works fine for receiving and sending.

Did anybody here aver configured postfix inside of Webmin so that you can send emails with a client. I can receive emails from the client, but I get a "server time out" whenever I'm trying to send from a client (thunderbird)

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
You may need to configure relaying as a default postfix install is very struct and only allows relaying if its from a local user and will not allow external connections for relaying.

bidzey75

Reaction score
thanks I try that

I discovered the kloxo CP since then, and I like it alot so now I'm using qmail, everything is set right, I even had this guy trouble shoot it for me . so now I'll try and find that configuration your talking about in kloxo. I'm learning alot though :)

bidzey75

Reaction score
well I believe you pointed out my problem, and I attempted to correct it. I got a report from a look up on my smtp and I got this...

------------------------------------------------
220 mail.mydomain.com - Welcome to Qmail ESMTP
OK - 184.***.**.*** resolves to mydomain.com
OK - Reverse DNS matches SMTP Banner
0 seconds - Good on Connection time
Not an open relay.
1.248 seconds - Good on Transaction time
------------------------------------------------

this was after I followed these instructions (up to 3.4)

so obviously my challenge is to change this Not an open relay., probably the answer to my problem, after making an attempt I failed. Does anyone here know how to open a relay... for dummies... I though it seemed easy enough to do, and the procedure went well, all commands and entries were done as instructed at the above URL. I found my path a bit different from the instructions but that was obvious to correct.

bidzey75

Reaction score
I got everything going like I wanted to, but I went back to qmail along with Kloxo. Any chance associating my forum account "Bidzey75" to my VPS account and drop my free account completely?

Any chance of giving me the username "Bidzey" and not "Bidzey75" ? :redface:

Last edited: