Potato chips became non-fat food

monky91

Reaction score
:D Hi

Just wanna share some tips from some expert
If you are a junk food king/queen but afraid becoming fat. The solutions is to put your junk food (potato chips) into fridge (not the freezer .. )
When you want to eat, take it out and eat it with no worries about the becoming fat
It will became non fat food. I heard it from the tv ... some expert

try it .. :lol:

Last edited:

swirly

Reaction score
lmao...i wonder how much "expertise" this "expert" has lol i just wonder how it would work...because as far as i know it wouldnt remove the fatty acids, or carbs...

t2t2t

Reaction score
Hmm... *looks at lays pack on living room table* Maybe should try it...

clareto

Reaction score
hey!... it must be related with the fact that my chocolate and my soup "makes" fat when it gets colder!!!

temperature just changes the density, not the fat percentage

cyberghost101

Reaction score
Im afaid I have to call on that one, Non fat food by putting it in the fridge? If thats the case I gues that cheese cake really wont make me put on about 20 lbs.

acidburn0520

Reaction score
Seriously... that's basically saying that everything in your fridge is non-fat.

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Wow, it really makes you think for a moment: which tastes better: cold potato chips or room temperature potato chips? WEll, its worth a shot i guess

avianwings

Reaction score
:D Hi

Just wanna share some tips from some expert
If you are a junk food king/queen but afraid becoming fat. The solutions is to put your junk food (potato chips) into fridge (not the freezer .. )
When you want to eat, take it out and eat it with no worries about the becoming fat
It will became non fat food. I heard it from the tv ... some expert

try it .. :lol:

Now to actually make sense of this thread, it chemically isn't possible. I don't know why this "expert" had claimed this to be true...but by the sounds of it, he really didn't know what he was talking about. I would also like to see the source(s) of this information if it indeed was mentioned somewhere.

There are a lot of crisps out there that claim to be "fat-free", but most of them have been found to have trans-fats. Trans-fats (according to Wikipedia) are a type of unsaturated/monosaturated/polystaturated fats that are commonly created as a side effect of partial hydrogenation of plant oils. These, in essence, are more detrimental to your health than the saturated fats you eat everyday.

So, before you go and get these wild ideas running through your head, just keep in mind that refrigeration of most foods will just make it colder...not change the chemical make-up of the food per-se. On the other hand, if you put a peeled banana in the freezer until its frozen, it tastes like natural banana icecream (try that one on for size). :)

Ciao

jensen

Reaction score
maybe the poster was confused about reducing fat content. When we put cooked dishes into the fridge, the fat or oil will cool and form a layer on top. So remove this jelly like layer and your food would have less oil. But with processed food, the oil does not form such a layer.

Must be a ploy or hoax started by some junk food company trying to gain back their marketshare. :)

avianwings

Reaction score
maybe the poster was confused about reducing fat content. When we put cooked dishes into the fridge, the fat or oil will cool and form a layer on top. So remove this jelly like layer and your food would have less oil. But with processed food, the oil does not form such a layer.

Must be a ploy or hoax started by some junk food company trying to gain back their marketshare. :)

Possibly, but how many foods have you seen that a fatty layer appears on top after being refrigerated? I can understand heavily oiled, condensed, liquid-type foods such as; Campbell's chicken soup, canned tomato soup, canned beef stew, ect. Hardened foods, such as; crisps and french fries are a different story. You are still able to limit the fat ingested by these foods by cooking them differently (i.e. oven baked), but it will never truly get rid of the fats completely (even through refrigeration).

Point being, in order for oil/fats to be removed properly, there has to be a cause for seperation. In this case, the oil would seperate in water based foods (as oil doesn't mix with water), and doesn't rely on temperature control. Temperature differences causes molecules to either shrink or expand:

Cold (refrigeration): (using water as an example. Please forgive my retarded diagrams)
coldpx7.png

When water is frozen, the H2O molecules form a rigid alignment with one another, which make up your icecubes that you stick in drinks (lemonade, orange juice, milk...water...ect). Of course this structure isn't permanent, but is rather prone to changing temperatures, so the structure is very inconsistent at anything above water's freezing point: 32 F (0 Celcius).

When using the same principle to oils in foods, the same instance would apply, unless there is a cause for seperation (i.e. vegetable oil on water, or vice versa).

Normal (non-refrigerated): (using water as an example)

hotvw7.png

As you can tell, the difference between the first diagram is that the H2O molecules are randomly spaced out. This is what water looks like in at 'room temperature'. The colder the water becomes, the closer those molecules become to one another. On the other hand, when they heat up...

:lockd: THEY GO PSYCHO!!!!

Heat give us a cause for seperation. When you cook bacon, sausage, hamburgers, hotdogs...you will notice how the fats/oils seep out of the food and it cooks in its own "juices". Straining these juices will lower your fat intake, but not completely get rid of the saturated/trans fats.

So without continuing on, the method of refrigerating crisps to make them "fat free", is chemically impossible. :drool:

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Thanks for the illustrations and the clear explanation. You have phrased it much better than I ever can. So it clears the air that refrigeration does not remove fats from potato chips :)