Power Interruptions

Shadow121

Reaction score
I'm working on a custom built PC and it will load fine in Safe Mode, but not when you try to boot into normal windows. If it gets in, it won't be long until it shuts down. Other times, it won't even boot into windows. I've tried process of elimination. Removed CD drives, floppy drive, replaced the RAM, and even tried to replace the hard drive. The other hard drive didn't work as it's older and doesn't have the drivers. The RAM wasn't the issue. At boot up it also says that the system fan is at 0 RPM though it is working fine. Even without it, it still works fine. After we shutdown the computer you have to wait a little while before you can turn it back on. The power switch seems to have an issue and I have also checked that to see if it was plugged in correctly. The power switch issue has been going on since the computer was first bought.

I've tried to run a system restore on the system but the problem still arose. Could it be a virus that's doing it?

Help is appreciated. Throw some ideas if you have any.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The curious part here, I think at least, is that it only freaks out in real-windows, and not in safemode. Cause if it's a switch issue, it should still shut off in safemode.

My guess is either a rogue driver or something on startup (virus, rogue app, etc) is shutting the system down. And that whatever it is doesn't actually load in safemode for one reason or another.

That said this is such a unique issue it's gunna be a tricky one to diagnose. As for the System Fan, that's normal - all it means is the fan you have installed is either not currently plugged into the jumper on the motherboard, or is one that doesn't have the ability to report its speed. In either case as long as said fan is on (if it's the cpu fan), you'll still be fine. If it's the case fan that's the system fan, it depends on the case - if it's got enough air flow on its own it'll be fine, if not it might overheat in a bit and shut down.

I don't think that's the case here though - the shut down is a power-cutting shut down that would occur in safe mode as well.

Last edited:

krofunk

Reaction score
one way to verify if this problem is down to hardware or windows is to boot your computer from a live cd, if you can successfully boot from the live cd and keep the pc running for an amount of time then you know the problem is with windows (most likely one of the causes mentioned above) however if the machine shuts down/fails to boot the live cd then it will be a hardware fault.

I hope this helps you, a small live cd is DSL

Shadow121

Reaction score
I don't think it's a virus. I brought the HD back and set it up to be shared on my network where I scanned it with three different anti virus programs. AVG, Norton and Avira. The PC also has CA on it, and it didn't pick up anything. I took it back ~10-25 minutes ago and was talking and mentioned it could be a driver.

@krofunk I have a linux live CD that I could use....Only problem would be finding it in my stacks of CDs

Last edited:

dextercath96

Reaction score
Re: Power Interruptions-"use solar power"

I'm working on a custom built PC and it will load fine in Safe Mode, but not when you try to boot into normal windows. If it gets in, it won't be long until it shuts down. Other times, it won't even boot into windows. I've tried process of elimination. Removed CD drives, floppy drive, replaced the RAM, and even tried to replace the hard drive. The other hard drive didn't work as it's older and doesn't have the drivers. The RAM wasn't the issue. At boot up it also says that the system fan is at 0 RPM though it is working fine. Even without it, it still works fine. After we shutdown the computer you have to wait a little while before you can turn it back on. The power switch seems to have an issue and I have also checked that to see if it was plugged in correctly. The power switch issue has been going on since the computer was first bought.

I've tried to run a system restore on the system but the problem still arose. Could it be a virus that's doing it?

Help is appreciated. Throw some ideas if you have any.

Currently I am using solar power so that it will not interrupt my work. I think it is not a virus. But, there will be a power failure with your system that is why you should check out your power supply.