prefix for tables in my database

uchenna0

Reaction score
I was installing smf software for forum. When I was filling information for my database, I was asked this question.

Table prefix
The prefix for every table in the database. Do not install two forums with the same prefix!
This value allows for multiple installations in one database.

I am confused here cos I do not understand what is this table prefix. Please help me out in this issue. Do I need to log into my database and how do I.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Apparently SMF has a set name for their database.
If you install two forums on the same site, they will both have tables named 'users' , 'comments' etc
So, to keep them separate in the database you have to give each a prefix.
If your first install is about cars, use 'car' and you will have tables 'car_users', 'car_comments'
If your second install is about trees, use 'tree' and you will have tables 'tree_users' , 'tree_comments'

The software handles everything. Just give them a short 'first name' to use.

recent

Reaction score
A table prefix is like a unique name for the set of tables in your database corresponding to a certain script.
For example, one may have 2 seperate forums on their website (for whatever reason). OBVIOUSLY the users table would have to be used for the forums, so a prefix adds "SMF1_USERS" instead of just "USERS" so that you can have multiple user tables for different purposes.

and no, you shouldn't need to log into your sql db to config it :) should be automatic.

EDIT: ^^^ beat me to it :)

Last edited: