Premium Hosting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardom

Reaction score
I couldn't find a topic for this. You have Free hosting, Prime and even VPS, yet nothing for premium hosting.

Anyways my question is. How come one user logged into my site. Which there is nothing really fancy about it. Just a small php game, but when a user is logged in it takes a whopping 8% of cpu usage . Is there something wrong with this? Should one user being logged in take that much cpu? If so I can not have more then 9 users logged in at once. Without hitting 90% cpu load.

Is this a normal amount per user? Can I lower this somehow? Would I have to upgrade to VPS to keep from hitting the CPU max?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
cPanel doesn't accurately show the -time- at which it was at 8%. From having access to free hosting, I can say it's not uncommon for it to hit even 50% (mine does for instance, but I tested it on free hosting as well). The -real- question is how long it stays there; cPanel doesn't update fast enough to tell you, sadly.

I will say this though, don't panic until you get a notice from x10 saying it's going insane. I've seen scripts on free hosting use 78% of the CPU, but do so for 0.15s (just happened on Boru actually). It spikes because the system isn't doing anything else, so the page has all of the server available to it, but it's also not doing something very intense, so it finishes processing right away.

The sad part is then cPanel updates in that 0.15s and says "You're using 78% of the cpu," when in truth it was 78% for not even 2 tenths of a second. It's not normally something to worry about.

Last edited:

stardom

Reaction score
Thanks livewire. I guess that clears it up. I haven't gotten an email from x10 yet. It only spiked up once to that level. There was just a warning in my cpanel> resource usage. Saying "Your site might hit resource limits soon. Your CPU usage was at 92% out of 100%" It was not a constant 92% just a once time instance if you look at it. I read on host gator support area that if you have awstats, webalizer, and other statistic things running on the server that it can cause a spike in the cpu load because of that. I don't really use those on all of my sites. I don't really need them running but I cannot find a way to turn them off. I think they are locked out to the user. Only admins can turn them off from the cpanel. Can I get an admin to turn the ones I want off? I get better stats from stat counter and google analytics anyways. So I don't need my network using all those resources for nothing.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd open a premium ticket to ask; my guess is it's not affecting the server enough to worry about it. Mine hits 50% when I view it but it doesn't stay there :p

stardom

Reaction score
I guess I will just wait and see if they message me. Then if they do I will sort something out. Thanks for all the info though livewire!

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not exactly.
There are a certain minimum resources required.You can take this as an equation --Total usage = X+nY
X= minimum resources standard usage for the script
n= no of users
Y = per user resource.
Though this is not such simple thing,it again depends on the script you are using.
What database management script are you using?
I couldn't find a topic for this. You have Free hosting, Prime and even VPS, yet nothing for premium hosting.

Anyways my question is. How come one user logged into my site. Which there is nothing really fancy about it. Just a small php game, but when a user is logged in it takes a whopping 8% of cpu usage . Is there something wrong with this? Should one user being logged in take that much cpu? If so I can not have more then 9 users logged in at once. Without hitting 90% cpu load.

Is this a normal amount per user? Can I lower this somehow? Would I have to upgrade to VPS to keep from hitting the CPU max?

stardom

Reaction score
I dont have a content management system or anything. It is basically hand coded.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ok.
Then you can directly estimate the resource usage by trying with a few users initially.
I suggest you use xampp and find the resource usage.That should give you a rough idea of the consumption of the script.

Status
Not open for further replies.