Primary or Extended - How to combine?

bin_asc

Reaction score
Summer has come and so did the reinstallation.I`ve emptied my computer but now comes the hard part:i want to erase my HDD partitions and then to put them back.But i don`t know how to combine them.I want to have 3 partitions with Windows XP Pro Sp2 installed on one of them.Which of the following is the best method:

:excl: First combination is:3 primary partitions .Windows XP works fine with them.
:excl: Second combination: One primary(for the OS) and one extended(with two logical partitions).
My question is :which one of these combination gives a plus o
speed?Is there a difference between them except the HDD space management?
Pls give answers with hard,strong arguments.

Neuromancer

Reaction score
I personally use one primary and the rest logicals... but dont have a valid argument for it.

My reasoning was that if I ever wanted to split my hard drive in to MORE then 4 partitions.. the one extended partition would handle it.

I also do not know for sure, but was told that XP using partmon can resize logical partitions much like partition magic does with any partitions...

Benefits to going with all primaries would be better integration with linux and DOS.

If you run 2 hard drives and only are running 2k XP or 2k3 and do not intend to dual boot... you can create a partition on either drive and stripe them for a sftware raid setup.. (The OS STILL must be installed on a primary on 1 hard drive, but the striping of 2 other partitions can dramtaically increase the access and R/W speed of installed apps and your Documents and setting folders :)

zhizhaqy

Reaction score
in 1 HDD ?

i think the best way is one primary and one extended. actually i never make 3 primary partitions so i can't give argument on it. i always make one primary and one extended and my windows works fine with them.

I use PowerQuest Partition Magic to make partition(convert or make new partition).