Pro-Choice or Pro-Life

rmaslic

Reaction score
Are you Pro-Choice or Pro-Life? Please write your thoughts detailed and please remember that it has to be at least 1+ lines.

SGLord

Reaction score
I don't see how there is any confusion on this topic. Pro-Life ALL THE WAY. Anything else is murder hands down. This world is blinded by the 'triumph' of reason, even though it is not a triumph at all, much more a massacre of everything this country has ever stood for. Even more importantly, abortion and the right to choose life undermines the religion this country was founded on. it is inherently wrong, and should never be accepted as a legitimate practice in this country. ever.

naerey

Reaction score
I had no idea what pro-choice and pro-life meant... got on wikipedia, and for all you others out there:

Pro-Choice = A woman should be able to do abortion
Pro-Life = the opposite, no abortion

Surely most christians would choose 'pro-life', following the church's words.
Personally I'm Pro-choice. People are supposed to have FREEDOM OF CHOICE. And that includes having an abortion or not.
On the ethical point of view, I'd have to say:
1. Embryo's can't think nor suffer (now you can slap me, but, even if they do.. who cares? :S )
2. any other reason? ¬.¬

Freedom!!

SGLord

Reaction score
On the ethical point of view, I'd have to say:
1. Embryo's can't think nor suffer (now you can slap me, but, even if they do.. who cares? :S )
2. any other reason? ¬.¬

Granted, we may never know if embryos or almost-born children truly have the capacity to to feel pain, but just like you said who cares? Does it really matter if they can feel it? It's like saying that killing an anesthetized adult is legitimate just because they lack the capacity to feel it. What about people in comas? Is it lawful to murder them too, just because they're unaware? Why is it that the American justice system prosecutes those who take such actions against helpless individuals? What do they call it? MURDER. What's the difference?

What exactly is your belief system like to promote such an ideal? Obviously, like you said before, you cannot be christian because Christianity openly opposes the vile act of abortion just as I, an unashamed Christian, do. Even with this said, restraint from murder is not a Christian philosophy. Many, many, many religions from past and present do not condone murder for being the choice of one individual to harm another. I am thus curious to see what basis you have on your claims.

naerey

Reaction score
Granted, we may never know if embryos or almost-born children truly have the capacity to to feel pain, but just like you said who cares? Does it really matter if they can feel it? It's like saying that killing an anesthetized adult is legitimate just because they lack the capacity to feel it. What about people in comas? Is it lawful to murder them too, just because they're unaware? Why is it that the American justice system prosecutes those who take such actions against helpless individuals? What do they call it? MURDER. What's the difference?

What exactly is your belief system like to promote such an ideal? Obviously, like you said before, you cannot be christian because Christianity openly opposes the vile act of abortion just as I, an unashamed Christian, do. Even with this said, restraint from murder is not a Christian philosophy. Many, many, many religions from past and present do not condone murder for being the choice of one individual to harm another. I am thus curious to see what basis you have on your claims.

First off:
personally, I think that death is the worst possible thing that can happen to somebody. I don't believe in heaven, since I see no basis for it, though I'd hope there's something life-like after death.

On the point of abortion.. I ask myself a simple qustion "who suffers?"
In the case of abortion made legal, only the embryo MIGHT suffer. But personally I don't think it's actually anywhere near human. Surely not in the first month. And do consider that it doesn't actually have nerves or anything before 2 weeks... and that's about when the abortions are made, no?

Whereas if you don't allow abortions.. the mother/family will suffer because of the birth of an unwanted child, giving lots of headaches and probably financial problems. Giving the child to an orphanage? Not always the best choice, especially for the child..

After all, aren't we just animals?
And unless you don't eat meat, you're a murderer too :S

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Abortion is cold blooded murder. I don't see how anyone can view it as anything else. It's killing a totally defenseless child. Is that not cold blooded murder?

SGLord

Reaction score
After all, aren't we just animals?
And unless you don't eat meat, you're a murderer too

I'm curious to see where you're getting this ideology. There is an incredible distinction between animals and humans. If by saying we are animals you merely mean to point out that we both are alive, then thank you for wasting your breath. Animals do not have a concept of existence, they lack judgment that humans possess. Just look at animal society, for it is completely reversed from our own: With animals, the young, the old, and the infirmed are primary targets, whereas humanity, with an emphasis on the inherent value of life, seeks to protect and nurture those being of young, old, or ill status.

And from your meat comment, it sounds like you're a vegan...but we won't go there.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm curious to see where you're getting this ideology. There is an incredible distinction between animals and humans. If by saying we are animals you merely mean to point out that we both are alive, then thank you for wasting your breath. Animals do not have a concept of existence, they lack judgment that humans possess. Just look at animal society, for it is completely reversed from our own: With animals, the young, the old, and the infirmed are primary targets, whereas humanity, with an emphasis on the inherent value of life, seeks to protect and nurture those being of young, old, or ill status.

And from your meat comment, it sounds like you're a vegan...but we won't go there.

How can you separate humans from every other creature on earth? Sure, we have self awareness and complex socities now but we've evolved from a specie that is just like any other animal.

All in all we are essentially animals and like animals we still do posses that basic instinct for things such as self preservation, reproduction, and even to an extent social interaction.

Just because other animals do not have that self awareness that we do does not make humans less of an animal.

Now, on to the topic...

I've always been in favor of a woman's right to choose. In today's society a lot of people look down on abortion. Sure, I understand where they are coming from. Most of the time there views stem from a religious standpoint but they cover that up and state that it's murder. I mean come on, It's not murder, it's not even alive.

Another way to look at it is that abortions can help advance science through the use of stem cells. I'm all for stem cell research.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
How can you separate humans from every other creature on earth? Sure, we have self awareness and complex socities now but we've evolved from a specie that is just like any other animal.

All in all we are essentially animals and like animals we still do posses that basic instinct for things such as self preservation, reproduction, and even to an extent social interaction.

Just because other animals do not have that self awareness that we do does not make humans less of an animal.

Now, on to the topic...

I've always been in favor of a woman's right to choose. In today's society a lot of people look down on abortion. Sure, I understand where they are coming from. Most of the time there views stem from a religious standpoint but they cover that up and state that it's murder. I mean come on, It's not murder, it's not even alive.

Another way to look at it is that abortions can help advance science through the use of stem cells. I'm all for stem cell research.

You don't believe that an unborn baby is alive? Come one, where ever did you go to school.

BentFX

Reaction score
I'm pro life. I believe that abortions should only be allowed in the cases of rape and incest. Abortion shouldn't be easy. If a woman wants choice, she should choose to not sleep around.
Edit:
Most of the time there views stem from a religious standpoint but they cover that up and state that it's murder.

As if a religious standpoint is any less valid? This statement appears to be an attempt to belittle religion.

Without a higher purpose mankind is nothing more than fancy mold growing on the earth.

According to string theory, which is mathematically valid... We live in a universe that occupies 3.5 of 11 total dimensions. There is plenty of room for God to exist. Don't belittle people for thinking there is a higher meaning to our lives.

Compassion is unproductive in a Darwinist world.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As if a religious standpoint is any less valid? This statement appears to be an attempt to belittle religion.

Without a higher purpose mankind is nothing more than fancy mold growing on the earth.

According to string theory, which is mathematically valid... We live in a universe that occupies 3.5 of 11 total dimensions. There is plenty of room for God to exist. Don't belittle people for thinking there is a higher meaning to our lives.

You look upon religion as a belief. While religion does involve what you believe, it is also a manner of living.

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

I'm not belittling religion, I'm stating that it plays a heavy role in the reasoning behind many of the people who oppose abortion.

A lot of the time they will not directly state there religious beliefs as a reason for opposing abortion (oh but many do). So, they use there religious teachings which tell them that life begins at conception. That view carries over into there opposition on abortion.

BentFX

Reaction score
I'm not belittling religion, I'm stating that it plays a heavy role in the reasoning behind many of the people who oppose abortion.
I guess your right. But it would also stand to reason that those who embrace abortion do so because of selfishness, lack of responsibility, and disregard for human life. They just don't say so.
A lot of the time they will not directly state there religious beliefs as a reason for opposing abortion (oh but many do). So, they use there religious teachings which tell them that life begins at conception. That view carries over into there opposition on abortion.
Life does begin at conception! That's simple biology. The question is whether the life has value. I think it does!

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess your right. But it would also stand to reason that those who embrace abortion do so because of selfishness, lack of responsibility, and disregard for human life. They just don't say so.

Not necessarily. Selfishness, lack of responsibility and disregard for human life are not any of my reasons behind supporting a woman's right to choose.

Life does begin at conception! That's simple biology. The question is whether the life has value. I think it does!

In your belief it does at least.

Rolyin

Reaction score
my view is that people shouldn't try to impose their beliefes on other people.
Banning abortion would lead to less than safe methods of abortion being used illegaly.

BentFX

Reaction score
Where did I say life has no value?
Conception is when a sperm fertilizes an egg. Their dna mix into a single cell, and the cell divides. The cells divide, and divide again, many times. The mass of cells embeds itself into the mothers uterine wall. She is pregnant.

You can play semantics if you want. You can even call it a parasite. But that cluster of cells is alive! The life began at conception.

Hate it if you like! But what is at question is the value of that life. It is alive!

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Conception is when a sperm fertilizes an egg. Their dna mix into a single cell, and the cell divides. The cells divide, and divide again, many times. The mass of cells embeds itself into the mothers uterine wall. She is pregnant.

You can play semantics if you want. You can even call it a parasite. But that cluster of cells is alive! The life began at conception.

Hate it if you like! But what is at question is the value of that life. It is alive!

I've always considered life to begin at birth. Conception to me is just a process of pregnancy.

Sure the cells are alive but they still are not a human.

What's that gibberish about a parasite? What exactly am I suppose to be hating, the question about the value of life? What's with the exclamation points?

BentFX

Reaction score
I've always considered life to begin at birth. Conception to me is just a process of pregnancy.

Sure the cells are alive but they still are not a human.

What's that gibberish about a parasite? What exactly am I suppose to be hating, the question about the value of life? What's with the exclamation points?
The point I'm trying to make is that it is alive. You don't believe that life should be valued as a human being, I do!

Before birth an embryo acts like a parasite on the mother. Considering it a parasite would certainly give reason to remove it.

Yes! I use exclamation points! It keeps me from SCREAMING. :)

Do you agree with late term, partial birth abortion where a viable child is killed? Do you believe that the child is not a child until it breathes air, or should it have rights when it is capable of living on its own? Modern medicine can save very premature babies. Shouldn't they be given a chance?
Edit:
Are you Pro-Choice or Pro-Life? Please write your thoughts detailed and please remember that it has to be at least 1+ lines.
OK, we've argued the issue. What are your thoughts? You've given us 2 sentences, and one of them simply reminded that one sentence is not enough.

Last edited: