Problem Linking Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tam-iam

Reaction score
Hi. This post is on behalf of another user who is having problems with linking his forum account to his hosting account. The system is not allow him posting privileges so he is unable to post this himself.

He has created his free static hosting account. User name Kody37. He went through the process of logging in here then logged in to his account where the system requested the user name for linking the accounts. He did this, but received no email to activate the link. That was probably well over 5 hours ago.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also, apologies if this is a normal wait time and we are too quick to assume there is a problem.

Additional apologies for the inappropriateness of posting on behalf of another member. We weren't quite sure how to handle the situation.

Thank you for your time.

lambada

Reaction score
What is the forum username of the other person?
We'll check which usergroups he's in.

As for the e-mail try checking in spam folder.

Last edited:

tam-iam

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

The user name on both accounts is Kody37. The website is http://autoworld.x10hosting.com/.

I have advised him to check his spam folder which he has done on numerous occasions, although probably not yet this morning as it is still quite early here.

lambada

Reaction score
Kody37 doesn't have posting privileges as he hasn't confirmed his e-mail address on his forum account.

He needs to confirm this by the e-mail he received when signing up.

I believe that upon logging in there is an option to resend the confirmation e-mail although I may be mistaken.

He may have entered his e-mail address incorrectly when signing up, he may be able to change that via the UserCP in these forums.

tam-iam

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for that. He did have an incorrect email spelling, although it was in the cpanel for his website. He has now gone through the link account process again, but received no confirmation email.

Is this supposed to be a very fast response or might it take several hours. I ask so that we may know at what point to assume there might be a problem.

lambada

Reaction score
As the site is being worked on at the moment, this may be one of the side effects, if you he isn't linked in 48 hours then post back.

Also is his forum e-mail address correct? He may want to try and resign up and double check his e-mail address. Then try linking with that new forum account.

tam-iam

Reaction score
Okay, I will have him try that and will get back to you if there is still a problem in 48hrs.

Thank you very much for your help.
Edit:
Did that and still no email, so will wait the 48 hours and get back. Thanks.

Last edited:

tam-iam

Reaction score
Update: He never did get that email and things seemed a bit messed up so I helped him create a new forum account and hosting account. His new user name is auto37 on both accounts and his site is autoworld.exofire.net.

We were able to create this account with no difficulties, so he would like to keep it and cancel whatever accounts are associated with Kody37.

Since we were at my house during the creation of his new account, I am concerned that his account will show up with the same IP address as mine, indicating that I have two accounts, which is not the case. Is this something I should be worried about?

There is one more issue, although perhaps I should start a new thread for it. On the new site, autoworld.exofire.net, it frequently loads to a blank screen. This corrects itself if I refresh one or several times. I installed SMF and Tiny Portal to his site. Also, it doesn't seem to be a problem when either of us are logged into SMF. All the pages load correctly if we are logged in. I don't know if this is a software problem or a server problem. I have never experienced this on my own site. Mine is advanced and his is ad free.

Thank you for all your help

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the notification of duplicate accounts but I'll disregard it.

Some people said shutting gzip off solved that issue for them with the pages being blank. Not sure if you can try that?

-Corey

tam-iam

Reaction score
I saw the notification of duplicate accounts but I'll disregard it.

Thank you! He is my nephew and just visiting. I am just helping him get started, but will remain an admin on his site for some time.

Some people said shutting gzip off solved that issue for them with the pages being blank.

Can you tell me how I would do this? NM - I figured that out. Unfortunately, it is still loading blank pages. I also tried ctrl refresh.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

lambada

Reaction score
If you're using a PHP script have a look in the source code to see if any function has @ in front of it. This stops any error being printed out and can sometimes lead to a blank page.

tam-iam

Reaction score
I checked for @ in the index.php and didn't find anything. This is a brand new install of SMF and Tiny Portal. The only difference in the way they his and mine are installed is that I am using the advanced hosting and he is using ad free.

Is there any chance that changing to advanced hosting would eliminate this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly, a few people have had this issue but we have not been able to narrow it down. The best thing you could do to help us is record the exact time you get the error so we can look in the error logs by timestamp.

-Corey

tam-iam

Reaction score
7:23 AM PST. 21 failed load attemps. Hopefully that will be of some use. We really appreciated your assistance.

tam-iam

Reaction score
Hey! It's better. Don't know what you did, but no more blank pages since the server came back online. :biggrin:

Thanks for all your help Corey and Lambada.

Status
Not open for further replies.