Problem with WLDs MX Override In phpbb3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamessmith

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using phpbb3, installed via softaculous.

I want to send e-mail via the PHP 'mail' function via phpbb3 over WLDs.

However, I have found a bug.

When using the mail() function, sending mail to another e-mail address account on the same domain name (parked here, and is CO.CC). The local mail server catches the e-mail, and says 'No Such User Here'.

I believe this error is caused by sending the e-mail internally for efficiency; but the trouble is, the MX record points to hotmail.com on the external record, hence the e-mail between my main e-mail, and the WLD e-mail on the same domain, is caught by the local record before being sent.

In other words, the local e-mail server prevents the e-mail from being spooled and sent to the hotmail servers. This I think, is because the internal e-mail server treats such e-mails as internal accounts, rather than external hotmail accounts.

Please help.

If this cannot be fixed, I think it would be a good idea to create a similar domain and use it for seperate e-mail, and park it on a host without e-mail; and use the current domain name for the HTTP web serving.

TELNET thinks the WLD is valid, so I find it clear the mail() function targests your SMTP server, which catches the e-mail itself, rather than letting hotmail accept it.

My current MX record does accept/include hotmail.com as an outgoing mail host, however, the machine prevents from leaving the intranet, at the 'first hurdle' of sending the e-mail.

Let me show you visually:
1. main@myhost.co.cc (intranet) sends e-mail to target@myhost.co.cc (WLD).
2. phpbb3 uses the mail() function.
3. The SMTP server treats 'target@myhost.co.cc' as a local account, and because no user is found, returns a mail error to 'main@myhost.co.cc'.
4. Because the mail was not redirected to 'hotmail.com', the 'target@myhost.co.cc' WLD e-mail account does not receive the e-mail from the 'main@myhost.co.cc' x10hosting e-mail account.

I don't want to call this a bug, exactly, because if the protocol errors model does get fixed, it could potentially affect other member's current code in a bad way (unpredictability).

The original purpose of selecting this route model, was to avoid using SMTP settings.

For some reason, the following settings will not work:
SMTP server address: ssl://smtp.live.com
SMTP server port: 25
Authentication method for SMTP: LOGIN
SMTP username: mylogin@myhost.co.cc
SMTP password: ****

I wonder if I have the settings wrong, they used to work, are they different on the new protocol?

May be I won't use to use mail() if this works, so I'd like to go down this route if I can.

I hope you can help, so...

Thank you in advance, and,
Regards,
James
Edit:
This problem looks unsafe to other accounts to fix, so I have resorted with the second option anyway.

Thank you, anyway.

May be someone else has this problem and would like to continue, though?

Or may I am missing another option, please reply if you have ;).

And thank you again.

Regards,
James

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.