Problems running 256 color games on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pretty puppet

Reaction score
It seems like I have very little luck running my old games on my windows XP laptop. Usually I just give up, but there's one in particular that I've been itching to play. Unfortunately, regardless of color mode/compatability/whatever, I get the same error message:

DRBRAIN3 caused a General Protection Fault in KRNL386.EXE at 0001:8A07

Since the game is out of circulation, I really don't know what I can do about it. Are there any tips or tricks to getting these old (pre-1997) games to work on newer OSes?

hatbocs

Reaction score
If it's a dos game try using DOSBox.

Could you say what game it is you're trying to run?

Xemnas

Reaction score
Another option would be to download an emulator for OSes (e.g. Virtual PC), and install an older version of Windows onto a virtual hard disc.

Last edited:

coolnos

Reaction score
hi

try checking the "Run In 256 colors" option, but i guess u have already tried it...

so as my friend Xemnas Said use A Virtual Machine, although i suggest that u use vmware... its loads better than virtual pc...

Cheers, :)

RandomEE2

Reaction score
Try running it in compatibility mode with an older OS. Right click > Properties > Compatibility

pretty puppet

Reaction score
I've tried running it in all of the older three compatibility modes, as well as in 256 color, but thank you for the suggestions. I might just drag out my ancient laptop and see if I can get it to start up... running a virtual machine would be more work than I'm willing to do seeing as I don't have much space on my computer at the moment.

Last edited:

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
Well,

You can use Virtual PC or you can Dual-Boot XP and Windows 95.

Also you can use the compatibility mode in XP. Lastly you can

use a 3rd Party program that will compatibilize it for you.

Last edited:

pretty puppet

Reaction score
So now I have Virtual PC and the game will boot in Windows 98... but not much else. I can get to the title screen and select my name, but whenever I try to load one of the minigames I just get a "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" message. If I remember correctly, this used to happen on my laptop too, but I thought it was just because my computer was so crappy. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be? :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.