Procrastination can be your _WORST_ enemy

cwalker5

Reaction score
Like most techs, I have that chaotic lifestyle that keeps me busy even in my sleep, most work related, you know how it goes...

This weekend, I noticed a couple of problems with the way my filesystems are setup, I basically had everything except for 1 partition on /, knowing this is bad, I decided to fix this, and it being such a spur of the moment thing, my brain had momentarily skipped the fact that I hadn't backed up in over a month at least. So I create a new /home and /storage, during the move of my /home, something failed, I lost my entire home dir, including a virtualbox with some current work related items on it, no big deal. /storage went just fine, at the same time, I copied /webdev to a local folder and formatted it from ntfs to ext3, somewhere again between this copy, it was all lost, mostly due to an overheat issue. didn't notice until I turned on my system and saw /webdev reading 27.9free of 29.1gb, with no files listed at all.

:dunno:

panic mode.. excuse me.. sir.. can I please have a kernel panic?

Now, I've spent about 3 days recovering my files by using:

dd if=/dev/sda7 of=/recovery/webdev_recover.images

I used photorec with brute force enabled to recover (this recovered a lot more file types and returned way more readable data, try without brute force enabled [default] first), the major downside to almost every restore I've had to do, is the filenames are never in tact. My work was on this drive, and I've been heavily looking for the files.

Now, as the title says, you'd be amazed at how many people I talk to every day that procrastinate, and those in the tech field, are about twice as bad. my speaking of not backing up, brought up a late backup that had to be done by an aquaintence. Its things like that that should be avoided.. for this, even though I'm not into plugging things, I recommend a good dose of lifehacker (google it), I've been doing less and less and slowly getting more and more done because of this site.

Let this be a reminder for everyone. STOP PROCRASTINATING!!! GET BACK TO WORK!!! DONT FORGET TO BACKUP!!!!

Theres my reminders and my story, have fun!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I always back up my stuff. Every two weeks when my internet connection is idle, my Linux box will spend a few hours uploading 6GB worth of stuff to a secure off-site location with data from the PCs in my home. This usually occurs on the weekdays from 11PM at night to 5AM in the morning depending on how much there is needed to be uploaded, and how heavilly I'm using the internet.

Last edited:

bookworm99

Reaction score
I once lost my /etc/ folder and had to reinstall Linux. No good came of that... except I upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu :p

Aquarius

Reaction score
BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

I think it's written on the bible..

"People who wish to submit their 8 months worth of application design and coding in the 12th hour loses the data at 11:30."