Programming Help Rules and Guidelines

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
A new generation of stupid posts has inspired me to write up some rules and guidelines for the Programming Help forums:

Be specific

Be specific when explaining your problem. Explain in detail what the problem is, and some background to the problem. Post an extract from your code if possible.

Good:

The following code produces an SQL error when the $foo variable is null:

Code:
<?php

//code extract here

?>

The error:

SQL ERROR: error here

Bad:

My code at http://example.com/example.php isn't working!!!1

Thread titles

Thread titles should say what the problem is, what language it is, etc. There is no such thing as a stupid question, but there is such thing as a stupid title!

Good: SQL error on index page when $_POST['email'] is sent
Bad: help me!!!!

Listen to everyone

Listen to everyone, not just the first person to suggest a solution

What belongs here?

This is the Programming Help forum. There are three other forums in the Site Design and Development category: Graphics and Webdesign, Script & 3rd Party Apps, Review my Site, and Tutorials.

Things that shouldn't be posted here:

Anything graphics related belongs in Graphics and Web Design
If you need help with a script such as phpBB or WordPress, use the Scripts & 3rd Party Apps forum
If you want your site or code reviewing, use the Review my Site forum
If you want to post a tutorial on something like, for example, PDO, post it in the Tutorials forum

Things that should be posted here:

This forum is for threads if you need help coding. It isn't Web Development specific, but you're less likely to get an answer for a question on AppleScript than a question on PHP or JavaScript. Some people (like me) won't tell you the answer, we will tell you how to find the answer for yourself. You shouldn't ignore these people, if you follow their instructions you will not only fix your code, you will learn how it works.

Please don't be offended if we lock your thread when a solution has been found - it'll help clear up the forums, making it easier for us to help other people. If you want helping further, PM me and I will unlock your topic.

Following these simple rules and guidelines will help you get an answer, and more importantly: you will learn from it!

~Callum

PS: Misson is one of the most respected members of this section. If he deems your post worthy of a reply, it'd be best to heed his advice.

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Essellar is also one to heed. He's as (if not more) knowledgable, and more experienced.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
@fabiocj78, mdcbooking49: if you like something, use the "like" link. Otherwise, you're posting noise.