Proper Use of Hosting Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpresitnet79

Reaction score
I understand that it is against policy to use an x10 account to backup gigs of personal files and things like that. However, what if you want to have file libraries on your site and the files have to do with the site itself? What if those libraries end up becoming very extensive and grow productively? Would the account get nuked if a site ends up with gigs of online file libraries that it is offering to the site users? Or are tons of files okay to have as long as it has to do with the website and you're not abusing it by making it a personal file backup archive or some such?

I just want to be clear because I run http://legalmusicsearch.com and I'd love to include an Independent / Creative Commons Music Archive, but I don't wanna get nuked as a result of doing so. lol

Thanks!

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
To clarify things, you are allowed to include any file for which you have the rights to do so. In your specific case, it would be okay, as the files you are uploading are files that you have permission to re-share, and are related to your website since it would be an archive for CC/Independent music. Where we draw the line is, as you said, if you use your account only as a file-storage service, whether it would be only for you or to share with others.

xpresitnet79

Reaction score
Alright. So shareware, freeware, creative commons, open source and anything "public domain" for the sole purpose of a file archive to be provided by the site to its userbase, is fine then -- regardless of how much space it takes up.

My other question is: what if there are other sites you want to create under different hostnames because they are different topics? It is more than I would like to have to manage, because I do not want to have several different forum accounts that I have to remember to sign into once every 31 days, otherwise my hosting accounts would be nuked.

Is there any way to have multiple yourname dot elementfx dot com which would simply point to sub directories under your primary hosting account, or something to that effect?

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Your account allows you to have two addon domains just for that purpose, and one parked domain to act as an alias for your main domain. If you need more addon domains, buying Prime Membership or Illuminated hosting package will double it to 4. And buying the Premium hosting package will give you unlimited addon domains.

Alright. So shareware, freeware, creative commons, open source and anything "public domain" for the sole purpose of a file archive to be provided by the site to its userbase, is fine then -- regardless of how much space it takes up.

If it's other shareware, freeware, creative commons, open source and anything "public domain" that doesn't have anything to do with your music archive or site, it'll be found to be a file-storage service. This is especially if it takes up more than 1gig of space due to the new disk space policy: http://x10hosting.com/forums/news-announcements/172734-disk-space-policy-change.html .

Last edited:

xpresitnet79

Reaction score
Just the music I have created myself alone will take up well in excess of 1GB. But I assure you that everything on there will have to do with the site. Legal Music. Software Tools relevant to legal music. and so on.

I am just making double triple sure that this is okay. I really don't want to be suddenly finding myself in a policy war with anyone. I wanna keep things nice and friendly :)

Because there will be a lot of music taking up a lot of space, I am making 100% sure you guys don't mind.

The site is still under construction so excuse any broken links, but here is the direct link to the archive i am going to be building: http://legalmusicsearch.elementfx.com/music_downloads/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.