protected directory name contains invalid characters

ronwebb

Reaction score
[Newbie alert!] I want to upload a Web site that I previously created offline. I've figured out how to upload a individual file or group of files, and I can create folders etc.; but I can't find a way to upload and entire folder tree. It's not a big deal, really -- the site is small and I could upload it folder by folder if necessary -- but surely there is an easier way. How can I upload a whole folder with subfolders and files?
P.S.: Apologies for the weird thread title. I had started an earlier question but I managed to answer it myself before posting it. Like I said, newbie! :)

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
a few pointers:

the default path to upload would be "my files/domains/your domain name/public_html

If your offline website is under 10MB, you can try zipping it into 1 file then upload the .zip file.
note: the system will usually automatically delete files if they are over 10MB

i think only zip files are allowed so you cant upload .rar files.
once you upload the zip file use the fie manager to decompress the .zip file into public_html
this should keep the same folder tree as your offline site.

note: if you decompress the zip file but your files go to like public_html/site files/your files
and not the expected public_html, its the way you zipped your website and can be moved/copied
to the public_html folder.

ronwebb

Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion. I think the whole structure would be more than 10 MB, but I might be able to break it into two or three pieces and load it that way. On the other hand, if I have to do that much fiddling, I might as well just copy it up one folder at a time as I have been doing. As I said, it's perfectly do-able. I'm just surprised that there isn't like a "mirror" or "dircopy" command or something. I can't be the only person who ever wanted to do this.