Put in right place? Need help naming correct tables for msql

goldy30

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, it's MYSQL... I'm not sure I've got this in the right spot... but here it is anyway.

I'm making a site for a cause to change the law... like petition site, but only users can only sign my petition. Not create one or anything like that, just sign mine.

I need to know what different tables I'm going to need to create this site and I've got some idea but I don't want leave possibilities out.

I think i need a pages table to easily change content on each page.

• page_id
  • index
  • page1
  • page2
  • page3 ...etc.
A signatures table which holds users details.

• signature_id
  • first name
  • last name
  • address
  • suburb
  • postcode
  • email
  • comments
Should I have people sign up? Should, or do I need a members table? Perhaps they need to change their details?? Why would they, I don't plan on making it that interactive... hmm. Do I need a login for users.

• members_id
  • firstname
  • lastname
  • address
  • suburb
  • postcode
  • email
  • username
  • password

Maybe I should just have a members table and add a signatures field into it. Later if they move or change their name, they can login and change their details???? What's your thoughts?

What other tables would I need?

As you can see I've got no idea and I'm sure you guys would know what I should do.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Just for signing petitions, why do you need users at all? Every petition website I've been to asks you for your information every time you sign a petition. This saves you the tedious and risky task of creating your own secure login system.

Then, all you need is a table with petition information (description, date, all the details, etc) and then a table for each "signature" (name, address, DOB, petition number, etc).

For displaying everything, you would need an index page (maybe a list of your petitions, information about your site, signup for a mailing list, etc) and a page that will query and display each petition.

Best of luck!

goldy30

Reaction score
Well I'm going to need a secure log in as the owner anyway to modify page content and if need be users signature and details.

So an owners back end and no back end for the user ya reckon? I can see how that could work. Have a button saying sign petition --> Takes them to a page where they fill in their name, last name, address, suburb, postcode, state and any comments. That info goes into a signatures database which would include time and date.

Seems very simple. Is that it? Sure there isn't more that I should put in there?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, keep it simple, right?

You can always add more as needed. If this site accomplishes your goal, isn't that good enough?