Putting a movie on your website

ZeptOr

Reaction score
For my website, I want to put the short animations I made using After Effects. They are between 5-15 seconds, and they are in quicktime (although I can change that)

My question is this.. whats the best way to upload them? I mean, some of them are 10k, while others are 65k. How do I get that 65k down?? Or, in general, how do I make it so someone can view my movie with as little load time as possible?

Xenon Design

Reaction score
Well you could do some research into Flash and its abilities to stream movies as they load. Just like GooTube :)

You basically convert them to a FLV file and then link to a Flash file, then with some progress bars you'll be done. To find out how to do this just hit F1 when in flash and type in 'Streaming Video' and look under the tutorial section.

Bonekhan

Reaction score
I agree--FLV is the best way to go. QuickTime has God awful loading times (at least for me). Oh, and try making it voluntary for them to load up. Nothing worse than movies poping up every which way on a website!

ZeptOr

Reaction score
okay, so I think i can get flash from my cousin next time he visits me, which is in like a month, but I dont know how to use it at all. Does that matter?

Is there another way to do it without flash? And whats a good file size for a movie on the internet?

Xenon Design

Reaction score
Really Flash is your only option. It may take some time for you to understand Actionscript but in the end its a really cool code lang. As I said before, just go through the [F1] Help in flash and you will be fine.

Flash's help file is OUTSTANDING! and I use it almost all the time when im on Flash. You just type in a function name or something simple (ie Streaming video) and you'll get a list of answers :)

Im here if you need any help :) I have done a lot of time in Flash.

ZeptOr

Reaction score
okay i finally got Flash MX, but I can't figure it out. I searched 'streaming video' but nothing comes up, there is streaming audio but no video. I also tried to import one of my smaller movies into flash, and when I exported it it seemed choppy - as if frames were missing. In other words, my quicktime movie was a lot smoother and nicer than the flash exported movie

What should i do?

*I noticed that when I am imported a video, there is a frames/sec option. But even when I click 1:1 (frame of movie to frame in flash), it says its only 12 frames a second when it should be 29.97, or 30

Last edited:

Xenon Design

Reaction score
Has to be Flash 8 buddy....Flash MX doesn't have the newer components. So you'll have to get Flash 8. I'm sorry if I forgot to mention it had to be Flash 8.

ZeptOr

Reaction score
hmm.. so there is nothing in MX that can help me. Well maybe I can find a demo for flash 8, would that have the newer components needed?

can I have MX and flash 8 both on my computer?

Last edited:

Xenon Design

Reaction score
Yes you can...but if you can get a copy of full Flash 8 (legal or illegal version, your decision...im not going to question u) then MX is not needed.

Last edited: