Q. Parked Domain and Emails and Already Registered Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginzon

Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time been here since my account got banned for trying rapidleech... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: ( This was a result of not reading ToS .. Hehe)
Well since then I haven't hosted anything on the internet...

But now I wanna Host and as per my experience, I really like x10hosting... Ok as for now its Free Hosting till any further thought..

Few Questions:
1) Do you'll register domains like co.in or .in
2) If I have a domain already registered and as per this post in x10 wiki : Own Domain : can I get my something.co.in to work on x10 using Parked domain and also what would happen to the sub domain that is offered to me by x10 during sign up.
3) The place where I register Domain offers me 500MB/1GB of Email space but no free hosting. So can I register my domain there and use it here and what happens to those emails.
4) What happens when I go there, since my site isn't there and I register the DNS to redirect here. Will I need to maintain sites at two places.. I think answer to this is No as after redirecting it will be only x10... Right!!
5) The Mail ID's working there i.e. som@something.co.in will it work here and what does this thing in the wiki of x10 mean..
A parked domain will show the exact same site as your main domain. The key difference is that the email accounts are separate from your main domain unless you added the email account as a catch-all email.
What is this catch-all?

I know these are too many to answer, but kindly help me out...
Thx in advance.

Regards.

mraz

Reaction score
1) Do you'll register domains like co.in or .in
nope, only x10.mx, x10.bz & elementfx.com

2) If I have a domain already registered and as per this post in x10 wiki : Own Domain : can I get my something.co.in to work on x10 using Parked domain and also what would happen to the sub domain that is offered to me by x10 during sign up.
yes you can, with parked domain option both your domain & x10 subdomain will show the same thing.

3) The place where I register Domain offers me 500MB/1GB of Email space but no free hosting. So can I register my domain there and use it here and what happens to those emails.
once you point your nameserver to x10hosting's(which is required), you won't be able to use the email provided by the domain provider.
but x10hosting also provide email service with the hosting account.

4) What happens when I go there, since my site isn't there and I register the DNS to redirect here. Will I need to maintain sites at two places.. I think answer to this is No as after redirecting it will be only x10... Right!!
yes after DNS have propagated, you just need to use cPanel from x10hosting to make changes unless in future you decide to switch to another hosting provider then u need to go back to your domain provider and point your nameserver to the new hosting provider.

5) The Mail ID's working there i.e. som@something.co.in will it work here and what does this thing in the wiki of x10 mean..
What is this catch-all?

when u add a domain as parked domain, you can have email accounts from both x10hosting subdomain and your domain(e.g user@domain.x10.mx or user@yourdomain.com)

A catch all email account is set in cPanel under default address.

you have the option to forward all email accounts to a specific email account(user@domain.x10.mx or user@yourdomain.com) Or you can discard and return an SMTP error the sender instead.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score

You can register your own domain and add it, in which case your x10hosting subdomain is kept for back up purposes, for example: if your domain expires and you require access to your files.

Regarding emails...the set up here does provide customers with email accounts. However, if you would rather use your domain name provider's system, it's easy enough to configure as long as they provide sufficient options for configuration and you can understand how to set it up.

For this, the easiest way would be to use your domain name provider's DNS, and configure the DNS 'A' record to point to x10hosting's server IP. No way of knowing this prior to signing up, the IP should be in cPanel. You'll have to consult your 3rd party domain name registrar for help if you need it.

Or alternatively... you should be able to configure it so that you use x10Hosting's DNS and point the MX record and a subdomain (if they also provide webmail e.g. mail.xyz.in) to your domain name provider's servers. These options, if available, will be in cPanel, and once again, consult your registrar for details.

The advantage of the latter solution is that should x10Hosting change the IP address for the server that your files are hosted on, your domain name will be updated accordingly. Using the former will require you to monitor this.

That said, should you choose to sign up again here at x10Hosting, please ensure that you review the terms of service and acceptable usage policy available from the homepage prior to signing up, and adhere to it this time.

Last edited:

ginzon

Reaction score
Thx mraz and Sharky.....

@mraz
I could digest most of what you said......

@Sharky
What you explained was good but a bit hard to digest for me.... But finally I got to know what you said...

What you meant by this I still didn't follow:

alternatively... you should be able to configure it so that you use x10Hosting's DNS and point the MX record and a subdomain (if they also provide webmail e.g. mail.xyz.in) to your domain name provider's servers. These options, if available, will be in cPanel, and once again, consult your registrar for details.

Apologies if I'm dumb enough to understand...

Thx guys for replying... :D

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't have an account on a free server so can't confirm this but if it is available you can configure your site to use x10Hosting's DNS and redirect incoming emails (MX = Mail eXchanger) to a 3rd party service.

mraz

Reaction score
Hi,
I think what Sharky meant for the 2nd option is.

1. configure your domain to point the nameserver to x10hosting's.
2. afterwhich, using x10hosting cPanel, you modify the MX record so that it directs to your domain provider's mail server.

this way your emails received will not reach x10hosting mail server but instead to the mail server from your domain provider.
you can then read your emails from the webmail client provided by your domain provider or set it up on your mail client if they do allow this.

simply said - x10hosting covers everything except your mail service.

mraz

Reaction score
I don't have an account on a free server so can't confirm this but if it is available you can configure your site to use x10Hosting's DNS and redirect incoming emails (MX = Mail eXchanger) to a 3rd party service.

i believe this works as i have set up my domain with google apps before when on Stoli server.

ginzon

Reaction score
Thx bro's... I got now what u wanna say...

Ok now... If for someone to check this site: http://www.speedhost.in/choosing-domain-name.html

search any unknown Domain Name and click add to cart.. there it gives option to mention Custom DNS Server, so I can enter x10's DNS there right...
Also its addon has,

DNS Management (FREE!)
Email Forwarding (FREE!)
ID Protection (FREE!)

So these are the one's I need to configure.. Right..!! and since mail forwarding is there I can use it to point to x10...

Hope I'm getting it right....

mraz

Reaction score
Thx bro's... I got now what u wanna say...

Ok now... If for someone to check this site: http://www.speedhost.in/choosing-domain-name.html

search any unknown Domain Name and click add to cart.. there it gives option to mention Custom DNS Server, so I can enter x10's DNS there right...
Also its addon has,

DNS Management (FREE!)
Email Forwarding (FREE!)
ID Protection (FREE!)

So these are the one's I need to configure.. Right..!! and since mail forwarding is there I can use it to point to x10...

Hope I'm getting it right....

DNS management will not apply once you point your nameservers to x10hosting's - DNS management will be done on x10hosting cPanel instead.

email forwarding - i believe this is not a free email service, just allows you to specify an email address(other account e.g gmail, hotmail etc) to forward email sent to your domain.
as such for a full control email service, i suggest to use x10hosting mail server instead.

ID protection is a feature that will not display your contact information when someone do a whois on your domain
example if you go to http://www.whois.net/whois/sallytriasa.org

you will notice that the details all point to PrivacyProtect.org
your phone number and address will be safe from spam.

ginzon

Reaction score
Thx...

So if I avail for those addons it won't harm right...

And since this one doesn't provide a full email service by the description atleast I can use x10...

I know I'm asking too much things.. But wanna just confirm that my money isn't getting wasted and later I struggle to get things together...

mraz

Reaction score
Yes, even if you opt in these add-ons does not require you to use them: since it's free anyways.
i believe they have a control panel for you to manually activate or deactivate these features.

to me personally just ID protection is useful.

most domain registrars provide these addons free
some registrars actually charge additional for such addons
the difference are just that and of course how much they charge for it.

usually your interaction with domain provider are very minimum, maybe 5% only and 95% with hosting provider.

ginzon

Reaction score
OK thx... Then I'll buy it from them and host it here...

Hope the parked domain works the magic as I saw a few post who said that it the main yourdomain.com redirects to x10.mx .... Which shouldn't be the case...

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,
I think what Sharky meant for the 2nd option is.

My response was quite clear...

i believe this works as i have set up my domain with google apps before when on Stoli server.

Thanks, I haven't been on Free for some time...

Thx...

So if I avail for those addons it won't harm right...

And since this one doesn't provide a full email service by the description atleast I can use x10...

I know I'm asking too much things.. But wanna just confirm that my money isn't getting wasted and later I struggle to get things together...

You should be fine - if you get stuck there's always someone who can help and you can also click on to our live chat IRC server using the link in my signature just below or at the top of the page ('Chat').

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
We do have an email system, but due to the amount of abuse, currently it is not completely reliable.

Last edited:

ginzon

Reaction score
Thx a lot sharky...

Thx a lot GtoXic...

Thx mraz....

Yes will surely try this out now.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.