Question About Domain(buy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k12onos

Reaction score
i want to ask,

if i buy a domain, let say from my source in w_ww.thisismydomainseller.com

and then after putting the NS of x10 hosting server in the domain configuration. then go to modify account and change the domain to w_ww.thedomainibought.com. then the previous domain myprevious.exofire.net will be no longer exist right ?

is it possible to change the domain to w_ww.thedomainibought.com but myprevious.exofire.net still redirects to w_ww.thedomainibought.com ? because if we have a plenty of visitors then we change domain and the myprevious.exofire.net no longer exist. they would think the website is no longer exist.

so is there anyway to do this ?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd have to use www.domainyoubought.com as an add-on domain and redirect myprevious.exofire.net to it but keep it as your root domain. (I think).

As far as I know you can not park x10 or exofire subdomains or use them if they're not the root of your account. You're welcome to go into park domains and try parking pickasub.exofire.net to your account and see if it works. If it does, you can do that, if not you'll have to stick with what I said above.

-Corey

k12onos

Reaction score
if i use ww_w.domainibought.com as an add-on domain. will it have any effect ? or it will act like a normal domain ?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
It will act like a normal domain, the root of it will be inside a folder in your home dir; No one will beable to tell any difference from a regular setup.

-Corey

k12onos

Reaction score
so let say i have mydomain.exofire.net

i bought a ww_w.iboughtthis.com

then i park the ww_w.iboughtthis.com domain.

then, a few questions came :

1. what happens when people access it from mydomain.exofire.net ?

2. i heard some people talking about error(or something happened) when opening ww_w.iboughtthis.com/forum instead of ww_w.iboughtthis.com/forum/

is this issue right or not ?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, now this depends if you're talking about a parked domain or an addon domain. They are different. Which one are you talking about?

-Corey

k12onos

Reaction score
Corey said:
Well, now this depends if you're talking about a parked domain or an addon domain. They are different. Which one are you talking about?

-Corey
you said we have to park the domain. so im talking about parked domain.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Was talking about parking if you wanted to try keeping the sub. The problem you see with other people when their domains redirect to the subdomain is usually the configuration of their forums. The forums are configured for subdomain.x10hosting.com so once the user gets to the forum and clicks a link, the link goes to subdomain.x10hosting.com ; The parked domain works like a mask and will until it is redirected by a link like subdomain.x10hosting.com/comments.php instead of just /comments.php

I hope that isn't too confusing.

-Corey

k12onos

Reaction score
oh, so thats it. thank you. i will reconsider using parked domain :p

Status
Not open for further replies.