question about high resource usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvaroag

Reaction score
On my website, I have a photo gallery. Many of my friends ask me to send them some photos, but I don't have enough time to send the photos they ask me to. So I was thinking about adding to the photo gallery the "Send photo" option, which will send the photo as an attatchment. Each photo is in JPEG format, true color, 640x480. My questions on this:

1. Are this kind of mail forms against the TOS?
2. Can I use the x10Hosting SMTP server(with a user created for that), or may I use another SMTP Server?
3. May I put a flood prevention on the mailer code, to prevent high resource usage?
4. Could this be, in any way, considered High Resource Usage?

Thanks,
Alvaro

Last edited:

dyfuse

Reaction score
One way you could do it is by making an account for your friends in which they can upload photos to a specific album, which you can later browse. I know a gallery such as Coppermine can allow user accounts, and you can control how much they can upload in total, the max file size they can upload, and the folders/albums where they can upload to. However, I believe that the TOS may not allow this.

By the way, what sort of photo gallery is it? (Or is it, so to speak, 'home-made'?)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

lambada

Reaction score
I believe he was asking about letting friends DOWNLOAD photo's, not upload.

The downloading is fine - aslong as it is your own work (but you don't have anyone elses work on your account - do you ;) )

Obviously the spam prevention will be a very useful feature which will help to prevent your account being suspended / terminated for that reason.

1) Not as far as i'm aware
2) Use either
3) Of course you can put some flood protection in place - why would we discourage server abuse?
4) Depends how much you use. For the occasional download, no.

BTW: why can't your visitors go right-click and save image? :p

alvaroag

Reaction score
ffadmin: you are missunderstanding. What I want is a photo gallery which allos users to send the photos on the gallery to any mail account. Thanks anyway. Also, the gallery is made by myself. check it, if you want, at larcenciel2006.x10hosting.com/phalbum.php?ajax=1

lambada: Really that's what I suggest to my users, but I think they are a bit lazy. also, i forgot to say, the send photo option will be available only to the registered users, which are only approved by me. Thanks

dyfuse

Reaction score
@ alvaroag: Sorry, my misunderstanding. But what you've done with the gallery you've made is great! It's very fast and easy to use! Well Done!!! I still can't see why it is not easy for your users to visit your gallery, and download/view the photos for themselves! Maybe give them a direct link to some of your photos and send it as an email (then all they need to do is click the link and they get the photo straightaway)!

@ lambada: Just to clarify, but for a gallery script such as Coppermine, is it against the TOS to allow Registered users to upload pictures into the Gallery - so as to share photos (no copyrighted photos though) for a community gallery? I am just wondering because I am about to reformat my gallery, and I am wondering whether this 'option' can be enabled! :)

Colin

Reaction score
I beleive its ok for register users to upload images, but you must make sure they are not uploading copyrighted images.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes images are fine.

Cant be copyright and big.

Status
Not open for further replies.