Question about importing MySQL database into phpmyadmin

mil1ion

Reaction score
This is a different question from my previous one. When you import a database into phpmyadmin does it have to be a text file, because when I export it on my other server I can just dump it all and then copy it into a text file, but it just keeps getting longer and longer and doesn't seem to stop and is massively huge. I also have the options of zipping, gzipping, or bzipping it, so that's why I ask. If I have no other option I might as well wait a while for it to completely dump and then copy it, but that takes a loooong time and is super big. So is there a way to import it when it is zipped?

oraya68

Reaction score
No you can import a compressed file. Select import, locate the file and if it's a compressed file it will automatically be detected, unzip and import it.

Kind regards,
Oraya

mil1ion

Reaction score
I export it from my old server compressed in a zip, but then when I try to import it in x10 it gives me an error.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
It has to be a plain text file you are using when you attempt the import within PHPMyAdmin. For cases like this, why not write a PHP script to do the work for you?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
From phpMyAdmin Import page...

File to import
Location of the text file (Max: 51,200 KiB)
Character set of the file: armscii8 ascii big5 binary cp1250 cp1251 cp1256 cp1257 cp850 cp852 cp866 cp932 dec8 eucjpms euckr gb2312 gbk geostd8 greek hebrew hp8 keybcs2 koi8r koi8u latin1 latin2 latin5 latin7 macce macroman sjis swe7 tis620 ucs2 ujis utf8
Imported file compression will be automatically detected from: None, gzip, zip

So it seems to support importing compressed files.

But it gives me

Error in ZIP archive: CRC32 checksum is not equal with the value in header information.

Which is interesting because it is a zip file that phpMyAdmin created 5 minutes before.