Question about moving my account..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleachsk

Reaction score
My brother has a paid account.. and my account is a ad-free free account.. my account gets suspended for high usage sometimes.. prolly cuz of the forum's chatroom.. it's not like i can take it away cuz it's something the members really enjoy.. but since my site and his site are for the same thing essentially.. (an rpg).. if i wanted to get rid of my account and just have the data from it merged into his account, which he said he's ok with that, he has the space and bandwidth available..is that possible?

I'd just like to avoid having to request to be unsuspended all the time and he said he'd look after everything if it was possible.

thanks..

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes you can. Your brother can create an "Addon Domain" (which will allow you to have a separate website from his primary website). All the content of your website can be moved to this Addon domain folder.
You'll have to transfer the files and if you have a database, transfer it too.

bleachsk

Reaction score
awesome.. would i then just request my account to be deleted after that?

bleachrp

Reaction score
Hi.. I'm the brother in question here.. I took a look at what you have suggested even watched the tutorial.. but i'm still kinda lost on the whole process of creating an add-on domain that would contain the files of the forum site that we're looking to move over to my account.. uhm..so, any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.. we wanna avoid any more incidental suspensions due to high resource usage if at all possible with the account that is to have it's data moved..

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
To do this you can do:
-Download all the files you want to be moved by FTP.
-Download your forum MySQL database (this can be done by "Backup > MySQL database" or at "PhpMyAdmin > Export").
-Import the MySQL database using PhpMyAdmin on your brother's account.
-Upload the files to a folder on your brother's account (the folder SHOULD be under the public_html folder), and update the configuration file to use the new settings (new database name, password, etc.)

After you've done this, you can add the "Addon domain" pointing to the folder you've your forum content. So when you access that domain, you'll only see the content of that folder.

Let us know if you need more explanation of one of this steps.

bleachrp

Reaction score
awesome.. i'll give it a go.. THAT explanation.. blows the tutorial outta the water.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.