Question game

zen-r

Reaction score
Didn't you realise that I had missed your post & was replying to boring old ichwar? ;)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you realize that you posted in my slot?

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you realize this thread never died???

zen-r

Reaction score
Is every sentence you write going to have the word "realise" in it?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you realize that you misspelled realize??!

zen-r

Reaction score
Do you think ichwar thinks that American's invented the English language that they speak?

realise - 1 dictionary result
re⋅al⋅ize
  /ˈriəˌlaɪz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ree-uh-lahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz⋅ing.
Use realise in a Sentence
–verb (used with object)
1. to grasp or understand clearly.
2. to make real; give reality to (a hope, fear, plan, etc.).
3. to bring vividly to the mind.
4. to convert into cash or money: to realize securities.
5. to obtain as a profit or income for oneself by trade, labor, or investment.
6. to bring as proceeds, as from a sale: The goods realized $1000.
7. Music. to sight-read on a keyboard instrument or write out in notation the full harmony and ornamentation indicated by (a figured bass).
8. Linguistics. to serve as an instance, representation, or embodiment of (an abstract linguistic element or category): In “Jack tripped,” the subject is realized by “Jack,” the predicate by “tripped,” and the past tense by “-ed.”
–verb (used without object)
9. to convert property or goods into cash or money.
Also, especially British, re⋅al⋅ise.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you realize what I just got when I tried hunting for a definition for your made up word?

1828 English Dictionary said:
Your search [word => 'realise' ] did not return any results.

From the search: 'realize' in the same dictionary:

1828 English Dictionary said:
RE'ALIZE, v.t.

1. To bring into being or act; as, to realize a scheme or project.

We realize what Archimedes had only in hypothesis, weighing a single grain of sand against the globe of earth.

2. To convert money into land, or personal into real estate.

3. To impress on the mind as a reality; to believe, consider or treat as real. How little do men in full health realize their frailty and mortality.

Let the sincere christian realize the closing sentiment.

4. To bring home to one's own case or experience; to consider as one's own; to feel in all its force. Who, at his fire side, can realize the distress of shipwrecked mariners?

This allusion must have had enhanced strength and beauty to the eye of a nation extensively devoted to a pastoral life, and therefore realizing all its fine scenes and the tender emotions to which they gave birth.

5. To bring into actual existence and possession; to render tangible or effective. He never realized much profit from his trade or speculations.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Try using an English dictionary, not an American (non-) English dictionary to look up an English word, or is that too intellectually challenging to have occurred to you?

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The dictionary I use was written back in 1828, which was before the english language ever evolved, right?

Newbie101

Reaction score
Why don't you use an encyclopedia to figure out when the English language evolved?

zen-r

Reaction score
The dictionary I use was written back in 1828, which was before the english language ever evolved, right?

Was this supposed to make sense?

Don't you know that you were quoting from Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language, & as I said I am writing in British English?

Don't you know that English is the language that English people like myself use, & is the language that certain Americans like ichwar also use but seem to have some trouble spelling correctly?

Don't you know that it isn't 1828 any more so you should at least try looking in a modern dictionary? (which shows the correct spelling for today).

Don't you know that I quoted to you from an American dictionary earlier, & even that had the British version of "realise" in it?

Is that enough questions for you, in the Question Game? :biggrin:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you know that the 1828 dictionary is one of the best around?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you know that the 1828 has some of the most comprehensive meanings for the foundational words of the English language?