Questions before getting a VPS for the first time

botdbr

Reaction score
Hi, first, good morning.

I've used the free hosting for few time and I want to have a VPS now. (After some search, I've found that here would be the better place to start and maybe continue. I'm new to vps/unix but may not be hard to learn from now, but never used a server like this, so I have some *newbie* questions.)

In a summary, this is what I need:

1. Server running in *a lot of time* (24/7) without stopping in the middle of a operation. (Well, I'm upgrading to vps mainly to uptime for running my bot that needs 24/7)

2. Speed doesn't matter too much as my applications needs time running and not many cpu resources. I maybe would need high speed only for building applications at the start and for the game server.

3. Run a game server at rare times (maybe 3 of 4 weekends in a month for 1 to 4 hours in each day). (Free server application but the game is paid.)

4. A domain for the public website (with 1-3 subdomains).

And now, the questions:

1) I would have 750GB Bandwidth limit in D3, so, what happens if I use it all? It will get a lower speed? Block all connections? If the bandwidth is exceeded at least me will be able to send/receive data from the server? (Like checking logs for debugging, ssh or some other data or controlling applications like those low cpu 24/7 bots).

2) How hard is to control bandwidth usage and speed per application (limiting bots and other application to something like 100KB/s or 1MB/s and unlimited amount), per IP connection (for the public website, I think I still can use only 100KB/s per user and unlimited amount here) and per day (like from 25 to 30 GB/day)?

3) How the paypal payment is done? (Never used it, but I can add credits to my paypal account. But, what to do next?)

4) It is saying "additional IP address", so I will be able to use one already or really need to buy another domain? How hard is to setup domain and subdomains, is it done usually from the domain seller or from my server? (If I need to buy a domain I will not use the "additional IP address" feature as I know a cheaper option in my country for one year usage. Or there's a option to add an IP for a year for less than 8$?)

5) Which server is recommended or better to run these settings? I have a *very-little* experience with Ubuntu (GUI interface on live cd/hard-drive) and Debian (command-line only on virtual machine). I would start using Debian for this server, is it a good choice?

Sorry for the big topic, thanks for reading (and helping).
Good morning.

-

Adding this question:
6) By the Terms of Usage I can't use IRC Services here, right? I want *only if possible* to add a interface into some of those bots to accept commands from an IRC Channel which I would be allowed to run it. I would be allowed to do something like this? (If this is a "dumb question" or "I didn't read the terms before asking question", please, just say No or Yes if you know what you are saying. It would be alright if I can't use it, I have other alternatives to make a command interface to it.)

Last edited:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
1. Server running in *a lot of time* (24/7) without stopping in the middle of a operation. (Well, I'm upgrading to vps mainly to uptime for running my bot that needs 24/7)
We have a 99.9% Uptime Guarantee so your VPS will almost never be offline :)

2. Speed doesn't matter too much as my applications needs time running and not many cpu resources. I maybe would need high speed only for building applications at the start and for the game server.
No problem! :)

3. Run a game server at rare times (maybe 3 of 4 weekends in a month for 1 to 4 hours in each day). (Free server application but the game is paid.)
In order to run a game server or 24/7 bot, you would need to purchase a Dedicated VPS (which start from $12.95).

4. A domain for the public website (with 1-3 subdomains).
You can purchase a domain from an external registrar, or I believe x10Hosting sells domains (not sure though!)

1) I would have 750GB Bandwidth limit in D3, so, what happens if I use it all? It will get a lower speed? Block all connections? If the bandwidth is exceeded at least me will be able to send/receive data from the server? (Like checking logs for debugging, ssh or some other data or controlling applications like those low cpu 24/7 bots).
If you exceed your 750GB bandwidth limit, you can either pay overage at $0.05 per gigabyte or upgrade your plan. x10VPS have noted that it is best that you submit a support ticket prior to hitting your limit so they can work something out with you. However, I personally would seriously doubt that you would hit the limit. I currently run a 24/7 game server and I have never exceeded 10GB of bandwidth.

2) How hard is to control bandwidth usage and speed per application (limiting bots and other application to something like 100KB/s or 1MB/s and unlimited amount), per IP connection (for the public website, I think I still can use only 100KB/s per user and unlimited amount here) and per day (like from 25 to 30 GB/day)?
Unfortunately I'm not sure about this question. You may be able to script something that will monitor the scripts or possibly install 3rd party software to help you accomplish this.

3) How the paypal payment is done? (Never used it, but I can add credits to my paypal account. But, what to do next?)
When you need to pay for your VPS and wish to do it through PayPal, you will be given two options: Subscribe or Checkout. (I personally choose Checkout). It will then ask for your PayPal login details (although I think there is an option to do it if you don't have a PayPal account).

4) It is saying "additional IP address", so I will be able to use one already or really need to buy another domain? How hard is to setup domain and subdomains, is it done usually from the domain seller or from my server? (If I need to buy a domain I will not use the "additional IP address" feature as I know a cheaper option in my country for one year usage. Or there's a option to add an IP for a year for less than 8$?)
Every VPS has it's own Dedicated IP address - the "additional" IP addresses are extra ones. In order to setup domains and subdomains, you could either point the domains to your server using an A Record or setup your own nameservers if possible. Therefore, you do not need an additional IP to setup a domain (although you may need one if you want to setup nameservers, not sure about that, however A Records work just fine). You can purchase an additional IP address at any time at $1/month/address.

5) Which server is recommended or better to run these settings? I have a *very-little* experience with Ubuntu (GUI interface on live cd/hard-drive) and Debian (command-line only on virtual machine). I would start using Debian for this server, is it a good choice?
It does not really matter which operating system you choose - all/most of them will work with what you need to accomplish. When choosing an operating system it is a matter of opinion, so you can pick whichever you wish. You may want to verify that the software you wish to run is compatible with your chosen operating system. Debian is a very commonly used so I am sure you will quickly become accustomed to it's environment. I personally would choose CentOS, but like I said it is a matter of opinion :)

6) By the Terms of Usage I can't use IRC Services here, right? I want *only if possible* to add a interface into some of those bots to accept commands from an IRC Channel which I would be allowed to run it. I would be allowed to do something like this? (If this is a "dumb question" or "I didn't read the terms before asking question", please, just say No or Yes if you know what you are saying. It would be alright if I can't use it, I have other alternatives to make a command interface to it.)
This is definitely not a dumb question since I was asking the same thing a year ago. I believe that you can run an IRC bot fine, but you cannot run a full IRC server (eg. InspIRCd) or IRC "services" (eg. Anope). If you wish to verify this, then you may want to create a support ticket after you have bought the VPS or alternatively use our Contact Form.

Thank you :)

Dead-i
Community Support Representative

botdbr

Reaction score
You can purchase a domain from an external registrar, or I believe x10Hosting sells domains (not sure though!)

I want to buy a ".com.br" now, as I'm from Brazil, the price is good and cheaper than other ".com" options.

If you exceed your 750GB bandwidth limit, you can either pay overage at $0.05 per gigabyte or upgrade your plan. x10VPS have noted that it is best that you submit a support ticket prior to hitting your limit so they can work something out with you. However, I personally would seriously doubt that you would hit the limit. I currently run a 24/7 game server and I have never exceeded 10GB of bandwidth.

I'm thinking about this limit too, maybe I'll never exceed it running the basic. Maybe if the little website grow I'll need it (If this happens I'll upgrade my plan, so, no problem). But, about the question: If the 750GB limit is exceeded I'll have no connection at all, and will need to wait next month, right?

When you need to pay for your VPS and wish to do it through PayPal, you will be given two options: Subscribe or Checkout. (I personally choose Checkout). It will then ask for your PayPal login details (although I think there is an option to do it if you don't have a PayPal account).

Which option? Also, I'm from Brazil, so it'll be hard to use a credit card for this. With Subscribe it'll pay automatically the vps on every month and from Checkout I'll need to login and pay every time? (If checkout is this way, it'll be like "pay and use" (not use and pay) and I'll select a day to pay in every month or something like this?)

Every VPS has it's own Dedicated IP address - the "additional" IP addresses are extra ones. In order to setup domains and subdomains, you could either point the domains to your server using an A Record or setup your own nameservers if possible. Therefore, you do not need an additional IP to setup a domain (although you may need one if you want to setup nameservers, not sure about that, however A Records work just fine). You can purchase an additional IP address at any time at $1/month/address.

I think I'll use the additional ip address already and setup the nameserver. (Changed my mind a little by reading about and how to setup a nameserver.)

But, why do I need an additional ip to run the nameserver? Can't I run it with only one ip address?

This is definitely not a dumb question since I was asking the same thing a year ago. I believe that you can run an IRC bot fine, but you cannot run a full IRC server (eg. InspIRCd) or IRC "services" (eg. Anope). If you wish to verify this, then you may want to create a support ticket after you have bought the VPS or alternatively use our Contact Form.

About the irc bot, I'll ask this later (as it's "optional"), but it's good to know that I probably can run it.

Another question: I'm thinking in not installing any panels or "do-it-all" applications and configure all I can by myself. Doing this will help me to use less ram and cpu? The difference from having some control panel is high than setting up everything like installing apache, mail server and so?

Thank you very much for replying. (Sorry for writing and asking too much.)
Good night.

(I'm just waiting to get verified on paypal to start using it, after paying, the server will be enabled instantly or I need to wait some hours?)

Last edited:

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
Once you have paid for your VPS, it is activated within 10 minutes normally. It comes pre-installed with CentOS which can be changed via SolusVM. Nameservers can run off of 1 IP, but most Domain Providers like to check the actual IP too now so it's becoming harder. If you know what you're doing, it's best to compile PHP, Apache, etc. from scratch, you'll have a lot more flexibility with it, especially PHP as in, you can define what libraries to enable, etc. You can choose to buy a domain when you're ordering your VPS or you can buy externally and specify that at the order form. As for bandwidth, as long as you contact support, they can allow more (like dead-i said, $0.05 per GB). You can still wait until your next payment, however.