Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

seravysensei13

Reaction score
1. "Error establishing a database connection"
I get this error message, and can't access my site. Any idea why? I see no maintenance today. I remember this was a frequent issue a while back, too, as I haven't updated my site much the last year. (actually it's back online now, but I remember this happening way too often in the past)

2. Entry Processes. I see "site was limited" on the control panel. I searched the net about what these even are, and found that it is pretty much the number of people loading a page or something at the same time. Isn't 5 waaaaaay too low for that? Although I only have like 50 visitors a day...

3. For the previous one, what is the limitation? Is it causing the problem in "1."?

4. A whole bunch of my files disappeared for no reason. I had 49 7-zip files available for download between 3-30MB each in one folder, total size never exceeded the 1 GB limit. Half of those vanished while the rest were still there. Are perhaps files not downloaded frequently enough automatically deleted or what? Did the server ran out of space? The files contain stuff I created myself, and not "pirated" things so I wonder where they went (don't worry I have the files and already reuploaded them, but I'm not happy with the idea of my download links getting randomly broken)

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
1. - how or what are you using to make a connection ?

2. - Keep in mind an "Entry Process" should take a fraction of a second to complete - therefore most people get it confused with how many visitors they can have on their website - A limit of 5 'Entry Process' doesn't mean only 5 people can be on your website at once - because the likelihood of all 5 people hitting your website's server at the exact same time (very small part of a second) should never happen - If you have little traffic to your website but are constantly at the limit of 'Entry Processes' - it could mean something is wrong with your scripts and they (the scripts) are active longer then they should be

3. - no - see #2

4. - x10hosting now deletes files 10 MiB (or larger) in size that have been on the server for more than 4 hours - from non-upgraded free-hosting accounts
for #4 see --> [ https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/news.196269/ ]

EDIT: I 'see' this is now within the 'Terms of Service' (TOS) at [ File Storage ] - see --> [ https://x10hosting.com/legal/terms-of-service ]

FYI - personal galleries are NOW limited to 500MB of disk space for images and videos

Last edited:

seravysensei13

Reaction score
1. FireFox. If you mean the website, it's PHP. It has Wordpress, a self-made counter, a spinning globe thingy and that's about it.
2. As far as I know nothing on the site should take long to complete (except the file downloads). I seems to hit the 5 roughly once-twice a day.
4. :( Guess I'll need to reupload them again when they get deleted again. Fortunately it seems to happen rarely, they're still up.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you keep replacing the large files after they've been deleted, you're breaking the terms of service and will find your account suspended. There is a 10MB limit for non-upgraded accounts. (The deletion agent doesn't run continuously. That isn't permission to put the files up again between runs.)

Beyond that, you might want to take a look at how many requests your WP pages make back to the server, and of what kind. If you have a lot of AJAX-y goodness going on, it doesn't take many page hits to make a lot of server hits.

seravysensei13

Reaction score
The terms of service only says the files will get automatically deleted. It does NOT say having them is illegal. In fact one of the linked posts says they are allowed and won't get removed any faster than 4 hours. You should maybe fix that.
Seriously, do you want me to split them archives up into 9MB volumes? That's so stupid and pointless, really. It would only inconvenience the people visiting my site without anything gained for either of us.

I have no idea what AJAX is.
"how many requests your WP pages make back to the server"
Google Analytics says there were ~1300 downloads the past month for the main page and the downloads one and less than 100 for everything else.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, take a look at the HTML for your page in your browser, and see how many requests (and for what) it makes back to the server just to display the page. And yes, if you want to maintain the files on your account without upgrading your account, then you'll need to break them up.

seravysensei13

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here? Aren't PHP files making requests to the server? HTML is just a text file that the browser displays? Or do you mean something like how many images are on a page? If yes then there are roughly 100 small (~120x140) pngs on one page, pretty much none on others.

Can this globe thingy http://www.revolvermaps.com/?target=enlarge&i=2R5QwXE85WZ&nostars=false&color=54ff00&m=0&ref=null
be responsible for the entry processes?

As for the files I'm gonna break them up next time I update their contents then. I guess I'm gonna need to link to the folder containing files instead of the individual files then, I hope at least that is allowed...

nullproj

Reaction score
if your needing a place to store files why dont you try Microsofts OneDrive or GoogleDrive or maybe get a dropbox, using these for file storage works for me.

seravysensei13

Reaction score
if your needing a place to store files why dont you try Microsofts OneDrive or GoogleDrive or maybe get a dropbox, using these for file storage works for me.

I used to do something like that a very long time ago (when I was still at a different hosting) but updating the links to every file on the site every time I update them (often all 50 at the same time) is just not good. The problem with these services is that, every time you reupload a file it gets a new link and you can't upload the files in one go like in FTP. Breaking up the archives and linking the folder is still better than that.

nullproj

Reaction score
You could always create an iframe linking to the directories you want listed or root directory to the directories you want listed on the website and provide an external link, or just a single external link to the directory you want to list the files. However illegally distributing pirated software is against TOS, also if it is a repository type you could always github your files and create a link linking to your github user dashboard to list all of your repositories or link each one individually or make a sourceforge repository for development. Alternatively using github, and this is something I am going to experiment with github uses built in libraries which you can grab repositories automaticly onto your website. Authough, I am not sure if that will work with this host, like I said I am going to experiment with it.

seravysensei13

Reaction score
It's neither. They're self-made character plugins for a game engine. I'll just make all the links point to a folder and put the files there split to 9MB each.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here? Aren't PHP files making requests to the server? HTML is just a text file that the browser displays? Or do you mean something like how many images are on a page? If yes then there are roughly 100 small (~120x140) pngs on one page, pretty much none on others
to get some (not all) information about how many 'hits' your Web page makes on the server - enter your URL at --> [ http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ ]

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
123 requests for a single page isn't "normal".

seravysensei13

Reaction score
123 requests for a single page isn't "normal".

...ok I checked 3 random other sites just to have something to compare it with:

index.hu
313 requests 4.2 MB 7.51 s
youtube.com
88 requests 1.4 MB 1.42 s
www.inforadio.hu
240 requests 1.0 MB 18.89 s

so...123 is pretty normal for an average page that has actual content other plain text. Either way, 110+ of those 123 are (small) images and not php code, I don't think those take entry processes anyway? So how is that even related?

Ehhh whatever, I don't care. It should be able to serve a simple Wordpress site with nothing special in it, and users shouldn't be needed to know what an entry process is to use one. I still don't know what limitations happen when I hit that 5 number but seen as it happens several times a day and the site is still working, and you didn't talk about any severe consequences, I assume it just means the page fails to load when it happens and people will need to retry later.

Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.