ram, processor,or harddisk.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
The processor, but it depends on what most badly needs the upgrade. If I've already got a dual-core 3.0 GHz processor, a 500 gigabyte hard disk drive, but only 256 MBs of RAM, it'll be the RAM.

Right now everything in my system is needing an upgrade... I wish I had a 3.0 GHz dual-core processor and 500 GB hard drive, but at least I have a gig of RAM instead of the 256 MB in the example above.

Last edited:

x10cyberman

Reaction score
If you are looking for a cheap upgrade, you can choose the memory. If you are using DDR2, make sure that memory has a low latency. I don't recommend DDR3 because is still new and and still have very high latency. Wait for the next generation's of DDR3, unless you need it for some reason.

On the other hand, if you plan to make a more serious upgrate, you can choose for a processor. In this case, for games(like Crysis) and normal applications, I recommend a Core 2 Duo E8x00 series (2.4 GHz, 3.0 GHz, etc.). Or Core 2 Quad Q9XX0 series for games and other applications that generally require a lot of processes. I also recommend to upgrade the memory if you choose a processor.

mad4chan

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my system right now. I've got an Intel C2D, enough ram, plenty of HD space, and a GFX card that'll play anything out right now. Out of everything, I'd say going to a Quad Core will give me the most performance Right now.

JamesB

Reaction score
It depends on what you want to use your computer for:
RAM for 3D games or launching multiple memory consuming applications at the same time.
CPU for video ripping etc.
HDD if you want your machine to be a file server or if you use p2p file sharing a lot.

Spritey

Reaction score
I would probably pick HDD every single time. All the stuff I have takes up a lot of room.

I would probably fill several TB hard drives given the opportunity.

anirtak143

Reaction score
ram first before anything...

why? because i use a lot of ram-eating programs and games (assuming they were already installed)...

then harddisk...^^ then processor..

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hard disk. I'd like to replace all three of my hard disks with 750GB ones. Then I'd have enough space to deal with all the crap I seem to accumulate over the years lol.

-Luke.

Dan

Reaction score
Please when posting in this thread from now on, make sure that you are not just repeating what someone else has said and make sure you are not just posting a one liner such as 'Hard disk or RAM'. Posts should say why you like it and why you don't like the other or why you think this, and why you think that person is wrong etc. etc.

koyut

Reaction score
Hmmm... If you have a well balanced system already. By well balanced I mean the RAM is ok or enough to maximize the use of your processor. I would get a HDD. I've read before that the RAM upgrade is the poor man's upgrade. Doesn't necessarily mean you are poor but you get the most bang per buck when you upgrade RAM, in terms of performance leap per cost. Also take note of the slots you will take up on RAM. If your current system is already full you should consider if you could trade it or sell it to upgrade the ram, Same goes for the working processor don't let it go to waste by just making it collect dust somewhere.

Dan

Reaction score
I would probably upgrade my processor out of that list (though I would rather upgrade graphics card...) for several reasons:
1)They are the most expensive and I could buy more RAM or another hard drive anytime.
2)I already have 4GB of RAM and currently my computer is having trouble using 2GB of it! So I don't need much more RAM at the moment.
3)I haven't filled up my 500GB yet so I don't really need a bigger hard drive yet, though a faster one would be nice.

cursedpsp

Reaction score
if everything was cheesy and the computer wont budge then ill go for processor. If i wanted to speed up the computer and it was already quick then ill whack in some ram. And i wanted more space then ill stick in some more space of my harddrive.

Personally i would buy more fans and dust filters so i can keep my pc on for longer :D

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
if everything was cheesy and the computer wont budge then ill go for processor. If i wanted to speed up the computer and it was already quick then ill whack in some ram. And i wanted more space then ill stick in some more space of my harddrive.

Personally i would buy more fans and dust filters so i can keep my pc on for longer :D

Don't forget the massive air gun or spray can to blow away those pesky dust bunnies that just love heat sinks :biggrin:

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Depends on your base specs. If you already have a C2D or C2Q processor, there really is no need to upgrade that. Any decent 7200RPM SATA II 3.0GB/s hard disk with a 16MB or higher cache will be fine. The biggest speed increase you could get would be to install 8GB or more of RAM and turn of the Windows swap file, the single biggest performance difference you'll notice.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
On my vista computer, i'd upgrade my ram. I have a 2 core amd processor, 250 GiB HHD, but only 728 MiB of ram, so I'd go totally for ram upgrade, then maybe a additional HHD, and when the amd quad core will be availabe, I'd put it in.

I'd totally buy some fans and air guns to remove the dust.

Last edited:

disturbedart

Reaction score
For a quiet powerful cheap comp, i would pay £40 for an intel duo core 1.6Ghz and overclock it to 3.1GHz (which im current on) then buy some decent memory a 2GB kit of 8500 Ballistix to support the oc. Then later on to a SATA2 HDD.

The processor and mem would cost under £100 for a cheap upgrade.
Prices from Overclockers.co.uk
Good Setup for that amount of money.
Runs cool as well

Disturbedart

Nathan H

Reaction score
I would upgrade my HDD, they are getting a bit old now and are starting to give me SMART warnings.

fempower

Reaction score
I would choose the processor first if I had enough money and my motherboard supported it. Then RAM, graphics card, and HD.

souradipm

Reaction score
I can't decide - my computer is so old everything would need an upgrade. I have a 923Mhz PIII with 128MB upgraded to 256MB RAM and 18GB HDD. But I would choose hdd space most of all because I only have 0.99GB left :)

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
I can't decide - my computer is so old everything would need an upgrade. I have a 923Mhz PIII with 128MB upgraded to 256MB RAM and 18GB HDD. But I would choose hdd space most of all because I only have 0.99GB left :)
Well, since a PIII motherboard uses an outdated RAM and HDD type, you'd have to upgrade that before you can upgrade anything else.

souradipm

Reaction score
Yeah, but I did say everything would need an upgrade. I just said hdd space because i meant in an ideal world, where incompatibilities don't matter :p