Red hat linux for free

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah ubuntu is pretty nice.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Fedora Core is a freely available Red Hat "clone" that is sponsored by Red Hat.

Ubuntu
is a debian-based distribution that is supposed to be very easy to use.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Ubuntu is a good operating system, so is Fedora. You should start off with Ubuntu first, then when you get experienced with Ubuntu, move to Fedora. Also, if you are downloading Fedora, I suggest that you have a fast connection, and a DVD burning capable drive as the ISO is about 2GB big the last I checked. Ubuntu is only 700MB big, so you'll still need a fast connection, but you will only need a CD.

Stormscape

Reaction score
Well if you compiled it yourself you'd have free Red Hat. GPL means they have to provide the source code.

If you mean the server RHEL, CentOS is the most popular free alternative. There hasn't been a Red Hat Linux since 2001. Fedora Core is the replacement.

CoolFinalFan

Reaction score
I've tried Ubuntu before and like it just couldn't figure out how to get the media player and other media stuff to work, said it needed updates! I still have the most recent Live CD of it!

More on Fedora > http://fedoraproject.org/

winlux

Reaction score
Fedora isn't really a clone. What fedora is is a free version of redhat, what is it for. Basically using the public to test their product and then they put all the stable code in their enterprise version. All commercial companies do this. The difference between ubuntu on one cd and a dvd for fedora is just the packaging. Ubuntu has a dvd as well. The reason they do this is because sometimes a friend can download you the DVD then you have more programmes immediately available without downloading them. Some offer only network cds, it installs the basics and download the rest. So it's not that one is better than another...

People should be careful though. The reason for this is that in the linux community certain circles may look down on you for using certain distributions of linux. It is because ubuntu and other similar version allow people to easily make use of codecs like wma etc. Why do they complain.. well because linux is not supposed to have the windows stuff in it. Therefor ubuntu is one of the main culprits. If you look at ubuntu it is actually based on debian, which is what I personally use. Why... It is the distribution true to it's origin. No commercial stuff, more than 15 000 packages available for just about anything you can imagine in the default repositories. It is also in my view the most stable and secure of all the linux systems and all the people working on it are volunteers. Debian is tried and trusted, but comes at a price. It is not nearly as user friendly as ubuntu.

The reason lots of people do not like ubuntu is because it comes with gnome. It is a pain in the behind to do things in gnome. I suggest you download and use Kubuntu instead. or if you have ubuntu then just download and install kde. It is much better. If your computer is a little slower... no worries, get yourself XFCE which is a desktop manager, light weight, looks really good and works beautifully. Although in linux once you get use to things you will start tinkering with the command prompt. If you do so I suggest you learn to use the Grep command from the start. It is a very power tool for concatenating and piping commands.

malfist

Reaction score
All linux is free, just go to their respective websites and download it. They, however may charge you for support, but you don't have to buy support. I would suggest ubuntu for newbies, I'm not a linux newbie but I still use it. I started with Red Hat 8.1 but didn't like it. Ubuntu will even ship you a CD for free through their ShipIt! program.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Not all Linux distros are free. I think there is one called Linspire that you have to pay for.

winlux

Reaction score
Like I said in my previous post free editions of commercial linux distros are not the same as the commercial one. The free is for testing and ironing out bugs to include stable things in the commercial version. Also commercial versions have programmes that come with it that is not included in the free ones. I.E. linspire which I personally don't like that much comes with a variety of propriety codecs so you can use all your windows media etc. Mandriva comes with cedega so you can play your games etc. Yes you pay for support as well but don't need to and that is included for one year on your commercial version. Support only comes in handy for enterprises and they role out big $ for it.