Remote Access to MySQL database

Status
Not open for further replies.

donward

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to connect to my MySQL database on x10hosting.com. I've allowed my public IP through the Cpanel. I created a test database and created a user.

I installed MySQL onto my own machine and then tried to access the database using the following command:

mysql -h [myPart].x10hosting.com -u [user] -p

(where myPart = my URI prefix and user = the user I created. Sorry for kinda spelling this out).

I get prompted for my password, then I get the standard MySQL command prompt. (Glee on my face as I got this far :biggrin: ).

I then try to find my Test database by typing:

show databases;

This is where the problem lies, I only seem to find a database called: information_schema and not my Test database I created.

My question are thus:

1) Do you guys need to make any changes to allow my IP through your firewall? If so, why did I get into this information_schema database?
2) Is this the correct URI ([myPart].x10hosting.com) ?

I want to connect to my database from a Java client on a remote machine, I may want to do this from a number of locations and therefore a number of IP addresses are required to access this.

Can anyone be of assistance with this issue please? I would really appreciate this.

Kind regards,

Don

Last edited:

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but we do not allow people to access their databases from another server/computer. We used to allow this, but we had to disable it due to abuse and security reasons.

donward

Reaction score
Ah you're not serious? Damn. I understand the safety concerns though but what abuses were occurring?

Anyway this doesn't help me. It's for my final year project and I needed a web host with MySQL database to run simple inserts, updates etc.

Oh well, back to the drawing board so.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Don

Just as a suggestion: you guys may want to update the options in CPanel in regard to this and remove the options and relevant sections in the documentation to avoid other people falling into the same situation in the future.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Ah you're not serious? Damn. I understand the safety concerns though but what abuses were occurring?

Anyway this doesn't help me. It's for my final year project and I needed a web host with MySQL database to run simple inserts, updates etc.

Oh well, back to the drawing board so.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Don

We do offer MySQL databases, but we just don't allow remote connections to it.

donward

Reaction score
Yea, thanks but unfortunately I have to have some way of letting the application I'm writing have access to the database in conjunction to a website that has access also. The web part is fine and indeed required, but unfortunately the other half falls down without it.

Murphy's Law ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.