replacing old webpage

guraot

Reaction score
I've made a new webpage and i want to replace my old one. I used ftp and deleted my old files at my public_html and copied my new sets of webpage. after completion, i tested my new website, but my old webpage still pops-up. I checked my public_html and everything i copied is in there. can anyone help me?

woiwky

Reaction score
Perhaps your site's pages are still in your browser's cache? Try holding shift and reloading the page. If you're still seeing your old site after that, then it might be that you uploaded to the wrong directory or are viewing the wrong directory. I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

woiwky

Reaction score
That depends on the browser. IE will store its cache in "%HOMEPATH%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files", while Firefox stores it in "%HOMEPATH%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\user\Cache" where "user" is the current FF user(probably ending in .default). If you don't use IE or FF, you'll have to google where your browser stores its cache. I'm only really familiar with IE and FF.

If you want to clear all your browser's cache, you can do this in FF by going to Tools>Clear Private Data. In IE, you need to go to Tools>Internet Options and there should be delete options for cookies/history/temporary files somewhere in the General tab. Exactly where they are depends on if you're using IE6 or IE7, but they should be noticeable regardless.

guraot

Reaction score
i did what you said, i emptied the cache. but it still doesn't work... the first upload is the old home page, then when you click the link home, the new home page which is my new index.html will then appear, which is supposed to be the new existing page. try it www.zumedina.x10hosting.com

woiwky

Reaction score
When I go there, I see a welcome page providing some of your information. If I click "read more", I can then view the page with the "home" link you mentioned. When I click that, I'm taken back to the welcome page. Is this what you're referring to? The welcome page is the old one? If so, what's the exact url to the new page, and what is something on it which the old page doesn't have so I can tell which I'm seeing?

guraot

Reaction score
Really.. then it works for you, I just tried it now, the first page shows black background with documents pertaining as my resume (that's the old page). It should not be the page. My page should look like a small white square with my caricature on it. and links cv and design. Maybe the problem is with my pc or connection. If it works to other pc's then i should have no problem. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.

woiwky

Reaction score
It is very strange indeed that you're still seeing the old page. Did you try clearing *all* of your browser's cache? I'm not sure what else it could be.

guraot

Reaction score
hehehe, maybe im seeing things... anyway, i'm sure i did what you told me to do, maybe i have to change some settings with my connection. I don't know.. as long as it's working to other computers, it's ok with me. Thanks again my friend.

woiwky

Reaction score
Which browser is that? I'm 100% certain that it's shift+reload in FF, and fairly certain that it's the same in IE. I'm unsure about Opera and Safari, though. But either way, he said he cleared all his cache and it still didn't load the new page.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Which browser is that? I'm 100% certain that it's shift+reload in FF, and fairly certain that it's the same in IE. I'm unsure about Opera and Safari, though. But either way, he said he cleared all his cache and it still didn't load the new page.
Firefox. That's what has always worked for me, and Shift + F5 doesn't reload the page at all. If it's actually a key combo, it should. I remember using Control F5 back in Internet Explorer days, too.

woiwky

Reaction score
Well it seems that both work actually. If I hold shift and click the reload button, I can see the images being reloaded as well. I get the same result with ctrl+f5. However I think I'll stick with shift+reload since I find the hand position for ctrl+f5 less convenient than shift+reload personally.