Resource Limit Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

svcadm

Reaction score
Hello!

I had just installed a chat module in my website svcadm.tk and was playing with it (testing with a friend) for a few mins. Then I just wrote an article about it and then when I tried to log out, I was presented with this message:

Code:
Resource Limit Hit!
 This site has exceeded its resource limits for the past hour, web traffic has been restricted. Limits are reset every hour, please try back shortly. 
Common reasons for this error:
High resource usage scripts.
Poorly coded scripts.
Time to upgrade.

Is the resource SO limited? I mean, there's hardly anything there... Just a Drupal cms and couple of users talking for a minute. Is this a bug? I mean, the module can't be that buggy, since it's been used by a lot of users for a very long time.

And, BTW, my drupal installation cannot check for updates or install modules from the drupal site. Is tat because of some php setting you have disabled? Can you fix that too please?

But first, please fix the resource-limit.... :(

trackgov

Reaction score
You may be on a perm suspension that's not supposed to be perm. If an admin reads this then fix me to please.

simple chats and simple shout boxes will give you a temp suspension very quickly. they watch the sql queries very closely it seems.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
58fFG.png

The above shows your CPU usage -- you can find this same info in your 1h stats in cpanel. We limit accounts to 300 cpu seconds per hour and you managed to use upwards of 1200, hence the resource limit suspension. These suspensions automatically go away after 1 hour, although hitting them multiple times in a day will get you suspended for 24 hours instead.

My guess is that the chat script you installed is coded very poorly and is causing a large drain on resources.

EDIT: @trackgov, you are not on a perma suspension either, check your CPU usage stats in cPanel as well and you'll find you are also using a large amount of CPU. Since you've been hitting it consistently, you probably are on the 24 hour suspension as noted above.

Last edited:

trackgov

Reaction score
i installed dolphin from cpanel and i got a 24 hour suspension.. i only have forums (not active) and nothing else currently so can you please lift this?

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
@svcadm: Your site currently displays as normal, though whether this is because it never had a stuck suspension or someone fixed it, I can't tell. For the Drupal issue, your best bet is to open a support ticket to ensure an admin sees it (though be advised it may take some time, as X10 has many users and few admins).

@trackgov, Skizzerz: trackgov's account status is currently "Unsuspended", so the redirect looks to be a stuck redirect rather than a 24 hour suspension.

Last edited:

svcadm

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, fellas :)

May be the chat module IS the culprit then. I"ll try some other ones to see which works. But if I try them on localhost (so as not to get suspended again), can you guys tell me how I can check out the resource usage with cool graphs like the one above? I obviously don't have cpanel on my pc :tongue:

About the Drupal issue... I"ll open a support ticket.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
If you have a linux operating system, simply use top or htop to monitor your CPU load and how many CPU seconds a process is using. If you're on Windows... any testing wouldn't reflect what the servers are doing since they're on a different OS so it'd be mostly pointless.

EDIT: @trackgov, your site was indeed stuck, should be fixed now. And for everyone else reading this, all stuck HRUs on boru have been fixed and the issue causing them to be stuck in the first place has also been fixed.

Last edited:

daledan

Reaction score
I have the same problem a while ago... I just generated images and thumbnails for the Piwigo installed on my host. Now the backup site failed twice.

according to their free account signup (http://www.x10hosting.com/free-hosting-signup) all free account have unmetered harddisk space and bandwidth. I'm not what what exactly happened to that.

I already sent a ticket for this hoping this will be answered soon.

digiblue

Reaction score
get acquainted with free hosting limitations. There is no such thing as FREE any where. Imagine if you had a nice cake in your hands, you say its free in middle of a crowd. Every one will want a piece, but there is only 1 piece, so you will have to cut it in small chunks, and those are very very small indeed. BUt since you told its free, you have to give it off to all, in the end no one gets what they where looking for when you yelled it out loud FREE!

forget free hoisting as is, i really do not think u can host any kind of script with real-time chat or even CMS. Only static pages, with the resource limit in place. So i would suggest you cut your goals in half, start DEV on localhost and search for online job sites to put your skills in test. Or stick with static pages only. can be done if you want to. but pls dont come whining here, if you mess something up without thinking and searching carefully.

Or get cheap shared hosting, usually 40$ a year with free domain name.

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
On the contrary, our limits are quite generous for running a website. Many users successfully run CMS as well as real-time chat. The key to the latter (the chat) is finding a chat script that is either configurable so it doesn't ping back to the server as often or finding one that uses an external server instead of pinging back to x10hosting. What tends to get suspended is if the chat script is pinging back all the time. Also, backup scripts that do stuff like zipping your entire public_html or scripts that do image processing/generation also tend to use a lot of resources and can be ill-suited for Free Hosting. Although taking backups is a good thing, you should take them manually through cPanel because we don't measure cPanel's resource usage the same way we measure that of actual scripts on your site.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Adding to Skizzerz's comment on backing up from cPanel, best practice is to store a master copy of site files elsewhere, which reduces what needs to be backed up to the database (which can be done in phpMyAdmin) and any files uploaded by users (note that this is limited by the X10 ToS to things like profile pictures).

jensen

Reaction score
DRUPAL uses a lot of resources especially when you have lots of modules added.
I gave up and went for paid hosting instead.

Here at x10 I just use it to try out new CMS and test scripts and simple modules I've written

Status
Not open for further replies.