Resource Limit Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
hi

first let me say you do a awesome job in providing a excellent free hosting facility. My site ( www.amazinglanka.com ) is a build from the scratch static site which does not use any databases, applications or server side scripting. Only php I use is "?php include"'s to join parts of the web page.

Since last two weeks I have been hit with the following message several times

Resource Limit Hit!

This site has exceeded its resource limits for the past hour, web traffic has been restricted. Limits are reset every hour, please try back shortly. Common reasons for this error:

• High resource usage scripts.
  • Poorly coded scripts.
  • Time to upgrade.

can somebody please help me in looking at this and giving me little more details so that I can take necessary action.

thanks in advance

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Have you noticed any unusual user-agents in your analytics? There are an awful lot of potential HTTP requests on your page, and if a non-caching bit of code tries to make all of those requests, it may be pushing you over the limit even though each request requires next to no resources to fulfill. (A standard browser will look at each additional request for the same resource and say "I've already got that".) If there's a badly-coded bot hammering your site, you may have to start blocking IPs to get things back under control.

nishan

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi Essellar

thanks for the reply. I am trying to digest what you said. What do u mean by "potential" http requests ? Anyway the cPannel only give a error logs.

There is nothing unusual in google analytics as far as I can see.

meanwhile I will do some digging on the the search bot (www.freefind.com) which I am using. I have been using it for years but they may have made some changes.

thanks

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
By "potential" I mean that there are a small number of icon-sized images that are used many, many times on the page. The average browser knows enough to re-use the same image across the whole page when it's referred to more than once; a badly-written bot will actually make a new request every time. Your own bot is probably not the source of the problem. And it was just something to check out -- GA (Google Analytics) might have reported a strange user-agent string, and that would have made an easy fix.

I don't have any direct access to your account (just the account information summary), so I can't check anything directly. Are you using any automated backup scripts or anything similar?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Additionally it may be worth configuring the site with a service like CloudFlare - this serves as a DNS provider and content delivery network.

My sites use it, and one of them...there's not a lot on there, but 4.6MB has been served, but only 1MB has been called from the web server - scale that up and it's quite a saving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.